Prologue

Hi, I started writing this book back in 2015. I was quite young, and now I am in my twenties! It was an accomplishment to finish a book so young. There will be grammatical mistakes and plot holes, maybe even cringe parts. Either way, it's the start of the writer I am today. Enjoy. 

- Elle

_____________

The Mysterious Suitor: 200 years ago

He knew that I loved roses. But then again, what young maiden didn't? They were a unique type of rose though, these illuminated under the full moon of midnight. I enjoyed meeting him in secret, it made my heart pound and body shiver with delight. Then again, maybe my heart was pounding because my love was gazing directly into my eyes. The shivers of delight could just be a effect of the look he was giving me.

The look of a breathless sort of endearing love.

Then his lips grazed over my own. Slow and steady. I leaned into this kiss and desired more. The autumn night was completely still, as if it was marveling at the two lovers hidden in the woods. The moon held high overhead and the long grass tickled my ankles. My beloved caressed both sides of my face. His forehead firmly pressed against my own. I breathed in the air he blew my way.

"Everything seems duller without you, my princess. You are the other half of my heart. It beats for you and I breathe for your kisses. A face of an angel and the mind of a warrior. I love you for everything you are, I give everything to you. My soul, my mind and fragile heart. I give you my every being. A world without you, is like a million sunrises without the bright sun. Dark and cold. You wake me up and light up my day. For an eternal lonely being like myself, you make it worth living." He released my face and took a step back. Tears were streaming down my cheeks. Those words had never been uttered before, I never knew this man's heart so deeply before. He kept it closed off and guarded like a soldier.

Now, he was kneeling before me in his dark dress pants. This man was beautiful, this man was mine. He reached out and intertwined his fingers with mine. Eyes, striking and captivating eyes held my own. Everything about this screamed vulnerability, my man was giving me everything in this moment.

"My love for you is eternal Roselyn Claire Augustine. My sweet princess, let me be your prince. That's all I ask of you under this illuminance of the midnight moon tonight. I will give you the life you deserve, I will be the man you deserve. Because the stars don't seem to sparkle and the water doesn't taste as pure without you in my life." My beloved reached into his back pocket, never taking his eyes off my face. This man of mine brought out a small white box and held it up to me.

"My human princess. My Roselyn. I kneel before you and give everything up. All my thoughts are open to you, my angel. All of my heart is yours to do as you wish with. My lips are given up to treasure that body you posses. I only have eyes for you and my dear, that's all I need. If I could look at you forever, that's all I ask." He opened the box before me. I glanced down and brought my hands up to my mouth. A gasp flew out of my mouth and the heart I held deep in my chest raced. Wide set brown eyes and disbelief paled over my body. A large diamond sat at the top of a golden wedding band. This ring was wrapped like a vine with precious gold. The diamond glimmered under the moonlight with beauty and serenity.

"Make me the happiest man and marry me, so I can treasure your body, heart and soul until the end."

I stared at this vulnerable man, unable to scramble a word out of my mouth. The shock had frozen me like a porcelain doll. Thoughts, so many thoughts scattered throughout my mind. A single hair straggled over his eye. I wanted to sweep it away and grab my sweethearts face. A kiss would seal our love away and I would let this beautiful man marry me. All my worries would dissolve away and I would have my perfect happily ever after with the Prince of Clomesia. The man who knew me like no other. I wasn't forgetful though, of the other man I cherished deeply.

That's when I realized.

My heart was saying yes. It was shouting from the depths of my soul to wrap my arms around him and never let this man go.

"Roselyn?" Worry clouded his features. Arms outreached and a gorgeous ring waiting on me. My fingers prickled to slip that ring around my finger and officially claim this man as mine. His eyes darted all over my face as his confidence started to slip. This vulnerable man was struggling to keep the doubt that now clouded his eyes away.

My mind, oh my mind was saying no.

It screamed and pounded on the inner walls of my head to run from the situation. To shake my head and leave my lover with rejection. If I was to slip that single yet heavy word to him, it would break him. I would lose the beautiful man before me, forever. I just knew so.

My heart skipped a beat, "No." I whispered so delicately and tenderly.

I dropped the bright roses.

All the hope and affection slipped from his face. My heart ached to rewind time and replace my mistake with yes. Tell him that I loved him more than the world itself. We were each others other halves and life was a dark hole of endless days without him. My whole body trembled with regret. My beloved drawled back the ring, his whole body tensed and flushed white. Ghostly white. All the air within him must of been knocked out, the large puff of white chill air that drifted away from his lips proved so.

That's when I turned away and picked up the heavy dress I wore. With a fast fashion, I ran from the depths of the woods. I ran away from my love, my everything. The tears tumbled down my face in a mess. I was a mess. The moon seemed to be guiding me through the woods back to the kingdom. The blood pulsed in my ears and my body grew weak.

At the ends of the woods, I tripped. Landing on my hands and knees and I couldn't hold it in anymore. I sobbed under the midnight moon. A girl dressed in such a galavanting dress this late at night seemed preposterous. Especially a dark, red, bejeweled one, a now ripped and dirty dark, red, bejeweled dress. It puffed out around me like a disaster as the moon marveled at me, the lover with no lover.

Then, the question I deeply neglected to think was brought up to the front of my mind.

How could I have said yes to my beloved when I felt the exact same for his brother?

I just laid there and sometime later, I assumed I had drifted off to sleep. Only because when I woke, the sun was rising through the still woods. Orange and a fiery red brushed across the sky and seeped like white rays of light through the trees. The ball of a bright sun rose up to replace the moon that once held itself over me. The emptiness and sadness still held onto me though, because my beloved was right. A world without him, was like a million sunrises without the bright sun.

Dark and cold.

_____Author's Note_____

Welcome to Roselyn's story, I hope you enjoy it.

COMMENT

VOTE

-Janelle F.