Chapter Twenty - The Chase

Liam's POV

*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*

I never thought I'd see the day that I lost my little Nialler. I genuinely didn't think it would happen, but look at me now; sitting in the middle of the road balling my eyes out.

"Come on, Li. You can't sit on the road anymore; it's not going to get you anywhere. Come on, let's go to the police," Louis attempts to persuade me.

"Why? You're not my mother!" I don't know what made me voice these utterly ridiculous insults, but something inside of me snapped.

Slowly, I get up and follow Harry and Louis into the house, moving to sit in the corner of the living room. I start quietly speaking to myself, "What are we doing here on Earth? How did we get here? Who created houses? Who thought of naming Giraffes 'Giraffes?'"

Harry walks in and sits next to me, handing me a cup of Tea.

"Harry, can I ask you a question?" I inquire.

"Yeah, what is it?" Comes my reply.

"What is the meaning of life?" I blurt my question out.

"I, I'm, I don't know, Li," Harry confirms what I thought.

"What is life?"

"I really don't think you should be-"

"Oh, Tea! You're the only thing that makes sense to me right now!" I have a little outburst.

"Um, Liam?" Harry asks.

"But wait, how do you get the Tea inside the Teabag?" I query.

"Louis! Liam'a having an existential crisis!" Harry shouts from next to me, causing me to jump a foot in the air.

"What?" Louis demands in response.

"Louis! What is life? What is the meaning of it?" My voice calls out. I really have gone past the point of caring.

Soon enough, Louis joins us, sitting on Harry's lap.

"What's wrong, Li?" His voice is sympathetic, just like the look in his eyes

"I want my little Nialler back!" I wail out, not even wondering if I sound like a mentalist.

"We'll get him back, Li, don't worry!" Harry tries to comfort me in my pain.

"How can I not worry? How can you say that? You don't know what it's like to lose the one you love! You have Lou right there in your lap! You don't understand!" Even I know I'm being irrational; they're being sympathetic towards me, but I keep shouting at them.

"I'm sorry!" Bursting into tears, I scream out an apology. My vision is blurred as I run for my room, or try to anyway. Tripping over the first step, I do nothing to prevent my face from smashing into the stairs.

"Liam! Are you okay?" Harry and Louis come rushing over to me, checking to see if I'm hurt. My nose is throbbing in pain, but I say nothing, only laying face down on the stairs.

"Come on, let's get you cleaned up," Louis says with a sad look on his ace. It can't be east for either of them to see me like this.

Between them, they pick me up to my feet and lead me to the kitchen, supporting my weight on their shoulders.

"Sit down, Li, and I'll make you another cup of Tea," Harry kindly offers. I sit in response, giving him no reply other than that.

"Li, look at me?" Louis asks. I look to him and hiss in pain when he starts to dab at my injured nose.