Chapter Twenty Seven

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y S E V E N

            “Darling, are you sure you want to continue like this? You know we could go on forever.” One of the men smiled sweetly at Lila. It was a sweet smile that was a sickly sweet smile. She'd lost count of who was who and Evangeline hadn't helped at all – she was off trying to 'break the barrier' apparently and had left Lila in the hands of these monsters. Not that she had any choice – either way she was going to feel the pain these monsters had inflicted upon her body.

            Lila just stared at the man. She didn't answer, just stared. Her throat was aching and she was worried she'd accidentally blurt out something – anything that would make the 'punishments' she was receiving, worse.

            “Mark, lay off her. Put her back in the basement, Louis wants us.” Lila looked over and saw one of the guards who were nicer. They all had hurt her, as they were ordered to, but he and his friend (she was sure their names were something along the lines of Nick and Kevin but she wasn't sure) always made sure that they didn't hurt her excessively. It was nice to have some people who were considerate.

            “Why does Louis want us?” The man made sure his eyes were kept on Lila, so that she wouldn't try and escape. Lila almost scoffed at the thought; she could barely move by herself without being in pain so how was she going to escape?

            “Discussing the new plan. I've heard it, you should go. I'll take her down.” She was sure that this was Nicholas. Kevin, the other guard, was less talkative and wouldn't be questioned.

            “I gotta give her her daily dose first.” Another sickly smile appeared on his face and Lila's throat felt it was closing up. For however many days she'd been here, they'd stuck needles in her every so often. Something about her not contacting anyone; a few of them made her feel dozy and some made her feel physically sick.

            “I'll do it. Louis's impatient – you know that.” The man in front of her sighed and put the needle back on the table, Lila relaxed slightly but tensed up as soon as the man stormed in front of her.

            “Don't think I've finished.” He grinned before pulling back his fist and charging it into her stomach. Letting out a small cry, she lifted up her head to see the man walking out of the door.

            Feeling her arms drape down next to her arms, she managed to relax fully. Nicholas wouldn't be hurting her, he was supposed to be taking her back to her prison. Her dirt-filled, rotten smelling prison.

            “Lila, Kev's got a plan and I think it's going to be good but we need you to co-operate.” Nicholas told her as he scooped her up into his arms. Incapable of using her legs, the guards would have to carry her back to her cell, normally they'd throw her over their shoulders causing her more pain to her stomach.

            “O...kay.” She croaked, her voice just a little louder than a whisper. They didn't speak for the rest of the journey. The halls were unusually quiet today, most of the time members of The League would be scurrying around.

            She'd found out, by eavesdropping and those monsters gloating at her, that they were in the official headquarters. She'd expected them to be in the mountains somewhere but apparently they weren't – it was shocking. In fact, she'd had no idea how long she'd been out when she first arrived, Hell, she had no idea how long she'd been in this place.