Chapter Six - Preparing

C H A P T E R  S I X

            After spending the day, wrapped in a duvet lying on the sofa watching re-runs of Misfits, Lila heard the door open and close, with chatty people.

            “Li!  I'm home, and I've got some special love for you!”  Lila fell off the sofa as she attempted to turn around to see the large grin covering her best friend's face.

            “Jay?”  She muffled from underneath the covers, trying to claw her way out but failing horribly.

            “Jesus, she's so happy to see you guys that she's actually gone and hibernated!”  Lila managed to peek her head out of the top of the tangled duvet and saw that Jace had brought Missy, Jace and Daniel over.  She pushed herself out, so that her whole face was showing.

            “Hey guys.  Anyone fancy helping me out of the cocoon?”  Lila asked, grinning at all of them.  They all chorused an answer of 'no' whilst Lila just pouted.  Whilst the others sat on the sofas, Lila struggled to get out of her duvet.

            “So, Li.  You left me with a bunch of guys and you promised you'd be in!”  Missy complained to Lila, who was now wrapped comfortably in her blanket on the floor.

            “Sorry, Mis.  Mamaw banned me from leaving the house.  She even locked all the windows and doors.”  Lila chuckled, remembering that she tried to leave the house and the door was locked and then she couldn't open the windows.

            “Why would she lock up the doors?  It's not like you'll try and go to... no!  You wouldn't!”  Missy exclaimed.

            “It's better than being stuck here.”

            “So you'd go to school?”  Daniel raised his eyebrows, not understanding.

            “At least in school there's something to do.  Here?  Not so much.”

            “Yeah, like being stared at.”  Missy snorted and her sentence caused everyone to look at her.

            “What do you mean, Missy?”  Justin narrowed his eyes.

            “N-Nothing.  Just, er, everyone looks at you?”  Missy squeaked.

            “That's not what you meant.  Who stares at Lila, Missy?”

            “No one!  I don't know!”  She shrieked, picking up a pillow ready to defend herself.

            “I swear if-”  Justin started to threaten Missy but was rudely interrupted by Jace.

            “Dude, calm down and don't even think about threatening her.  If she says she doesn't know, she doesn't know.  All she was doing was making a joke.  You don't need to go psycho on her.”  Jace told off Justin and wrapped an arm around Missy who was holding the pillow extremely tight.

            “You know, Jus, I knew you were protective of your sister, but really?  You're like one of those OTT parents!”  Daniel laughed.

            “I'm just being a good sibling.”  Justin muttered, sulking.

            “Aw, Jay, just ignore Daniel.  You're a good brother, and my best friend.  Now come h-”  Lila abruptly stopped in mid sentence and let out a sneeze before talking like nothing had happened.  “Now come here and give me a hug!”  She held out her hands and Justin laid back even further into his chair.