Chapter Thirty-One

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y O N E

            Sitting in the hospital room, Lila enjoyed the carefree and relaxed atmosphere. She was waiting for the doctor to come and tell her the results. They'd sent off the drugs to an 'old friend' to see what would happen. Unfortunately the doctors had no idea what was in them. All they knew was that Lila couldn't shift.

            The door swung open and the doctor came in, along with the alpha. Lila knew what she was going to have to do; she hadn't told them about Ronnie yet. She hadn't had the chance – she could barely move as it was.

            “Everyone, out.” Darren ordered them and they all bid goodbye, except for Daniel, Justin and Logan.

            “So, doc, what are the results?” Lila asked, half excited, half nervous for the results.

            “Well. We'll start with Justin's. He was injected with multiple toxins, thankfully none were too harmful. It seemed these were just to give you some side effects. It'll take you a little longer to heal but you should be fine soon.” Justin nodded. The doctor turned to Lila with a grimace on his face.

            Gripping Logan's hand tightly, she swallowed the lump in her throat. This didn't look like it was going to go in a good direction.

            “Lila, I'm afraid it's bad news. We found out that what you were injected with is highly toxic. The side-effects... well, there's only one.” Lila's throat constricted. She had a feeling she knew what it was but she didn't want to hear it. It would only make it more real.

            “What is it?” She asked, her voice barely higher than a whisper.

            “You won't be able to shift.” Tears fell freely down Lila's face. Logan growled in anger and Lila could feel that her brother wanted to comfort her. In all honesty, she felt broken. She loved being a wolf. She didn't want to be a human! A measly human! As much as she liked being around them, she couldn't imagine being one. Her life had been focused all around being a wolf.

            “So she's human?” Justin asked, his voice cracking. Lila didn't want to hear the answer, she knew she was a human now.

            “No, she's still a werewolf.” The doctor told Justin and Lila scoffed. She couldn't shift! “Lila, you can still feel your wolf, correct?”

            Lila looked at the doctor. How was she supposed to know? As if the doctor read her mind, he told her, “Can you feel your wolf?”

            Focusing on finding her wolf, she found that Evangeline was still there! Sure, she couldn't feel her as strongly as she was used to but she could feel her! And she wasn't fading either, she was sure of that.

            “Yeah...” Lila said, her hope rising. She knew it was foolish but all couldn't be lost, could it? Logan held Lila's hand even tighter.

            “Exactly. You're not a human, we're just unsure when you'll be able to shift again.” The doctor conformed.

            “How do you know? We don't want false hope.” Logan asked.

            “The drug was used because it was intended to repress her wolf, not remove it. Removing a werewolf's wolf makes them become human. The pain is too much.”

            That was the best news Lila had heard all day – she was still going to shift! Well, at some point in her life!

            “Is there any way that I can shift quicker?” She asked. Lila didn't want to spend thirty years waiting to shift. She wasn't going to.

            “No. You'll have to wait until your wolf heals. The injuries you sustained haven't helped, especially because it's taking you almost as long as a human to heal. That'll change as soon as we get you on some drugs.” The doctor kept telling Lila good news and she realised that soon, she'd have her normal life again.

            After they were finished discussing what was going to happen, the doctor finally left. Lila knew she and Justin would have to tell Alpha Darren and Logan who did this to them. They weren't going to let them get away with this. Ronnie was a fake. He'd betrayed the pack!

            “Ronnie did this.” Justin got to the point. Lila knew that he loathed the guy. Ronnie had put Justin through torture and put his baby sister through Hell. Justin did not take kindly to that.

            “Ronnie?!” Logan shouted. Lila knew he didn't believe Justin.

            “Logan...” Lila tried to get Logan to look at her, to see that Justin was telling the truth.

            “B...but I've...”

            “I know.” She rubbed his arm. “He said he and Simon wanted the stone.”

            “This stone? It's good for nothing!” Logan said, placing a red stone (which was attached to a chain) on Lila's lap. She gasped as she recognised it. The one that Papi had given Mamaw!

            “Yeah... where... where did you get it?” Lila asked, shocked that they'd got it!

            “When you guys were knocked out, Mamaw came and gave it to me. Said that she knew what we needed to do and that your Papi would be proud of you.”

            Lila smiled at Logan. “Thanks for looking after it.”

            She knew that they'd need to get rid of it, but they didn't know how. Although one thing was for sure: they'd do it together.

-------------------------

Short and unedited... next chapter (last one before epilogue!) might be a little longer!