Chapter Twenty Three

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y T H R E E

            The news spread like wildfire; Jack had gone missing.

            No one could contact him through the mind link as he hadn't shifted yet (the prime age of shifting was from eleven to sixteen) and apparently no one had seen him since yesterday evening when he'd gone out for fresh air. No one knew why an eight year old wanted fresh air, but the area surrounding the pack house was supposed to be safe. There'd been no sign of rogues or hunters since three weeks ago when Lila was attacked.

            Lila, unfortunately, had the task of trying to calm down both brothers. It wasn't working well, as soon as calmed one down the other angered him. Lila had been attempting to calm them down in the living room for as long as she could, and so far it had been five hours. Five long hours.

            “Jack will be fine. Lockhart is a safe town!” Lila tried to reason with the boys. It wasn't working well; even though she was Logan's mate, he still wasn't calming down. Lila knew she couldn't let their anger or sorrow get the best of them, if they shifted the house would be in even more chaos. Especially with alpha blood running through them.

            “You got attacked a few weeks ago! How do you know they don't have Jack?!” Daniel screamed at Lila and she flinched from the sound of his voice. Daniel had been having mood swings since three hours ago; one moment sad, the next optimistic and then the next moment pure anger. It was horrible and Lila felt like she was suffocating (not to mention that Logan was almost the same, except he was either angry or silent) in the room. She felt trapped. She couldn't even release her own worried emotions out because she needed to stay strong for the boys; one of them had to.

            “They were looking directly for me. They wouldn't have taken Jack! They want me!” Lila could tell that it was a lie; they might have got Jack to go through Lila but who would be stupid enough to take a young boy from a pack which close knitted? Half the pack were out on a search party whilst the other half were waiting for him to come back! She only hoped she was convincing.

            “Yeah... Yeah, you're right. They wouldn't take Jack...” Lila sighed and collapsed onto the floor. It was exhausting. She left Daniel to mutter to himself about Jack being safe and crawled over to Logan.

            “Lo? How are you holding up?” She asked softly. It had been an hour since Logan had even spoken a word, at the moment his head was drooping low and Lila could see a traitor tear run down his face. Without saying a word, she gently wiped away the tear and held Logan's hands. “It'll be okay. He's probably just run off to some basketball court.” She saw Logan nod and felt satisfied that she was doing an okay job. Half an hour ago, if she'd asked Logan the same question he wouldn't have answered her.

            Tipping up her head, she glanced at Daniel to see how he was doing. She thought Daniel was coping alright, well, until he slammed his fist into the living room wall.

            “Daniel Elliot Hart!” Lila stood up and shouted at Daniel. Not a good move, but she was willing to take the risk. “How dare you vandalise your home! I know this isn't a good time for us all but there's no need to punch a freaking wall in! I've got my hands full with both of you and this isn't going to help!” Lila angrily stomped over to Daniel and smacked the back of his head.

            She was breaking all the rules; don't hit a wolf who's got anger running through his vein (hitting an alpha wolf was unheard of!) and don't anger a wolf even more. Lila knew it was a bad idea but maybe this was the only way of getting through to him.

            “How would you know Lila? Huh? You've never lost someone close to you!” Ouch. Lila felt a pang to her heart and instead of feeling sad, she started to feel angry. How dare Daniel say such things! She'd lost her Papi a few years ago and she knew how it had felt. She had to see him and know that he was going to die, Jack had a high chance of surviving and living. Hell, they didn't even know where Jack was! He was just missing! He wasn't on the brink of death! He wasn't lying in a hospital, having to be fed by a tube!

            “Don't you dare say that! I lost Papi a few years ago and I went through a depression worse than this. I can't even go to Papi's grave without crying so don't you dare tell me that I haven't been through something like this! Jack's not even dead! He's just missing! Papi is dead!” Lila was screaming by the end and she could feel herself shaking. She hated talking about Papi out loud but Daniel was being so self absorbed that he didn't even realise it! “Instead of moping around like a three year old, you can always go out and find him!”

            Lila felt a hand on her shoulder and she glanced up to see Logan staring at her. She looked back to Daniel (who was shocked) and spoke to him a softer and calmer voice. “Look, Jack will be fine. No one would take him. Have faith in the pack, okay? Think about happy things and not about Jack, at least then the younger wolves won't be so frightened.” Lila took a deep breath in and she felt exhausted. “Now, are we all calm?”

            She watched as both the boys nodded. Lila felt proud; she was able to calm (well, semi-calm for the moment) two wolves with alpha blood running through their bodies. She knew how much the boys loved their younger brother and she mentally (but didn't tell them) promised them she'd find – or help find – their younger brother. She'd do all that she could.

            “'Kay, I'm going to bed now. Calming you both was exhausting.” Logan said he'd join her and she nodded, at least one alpha wouldn't be causing trouble. They started to walk out the room before Lila turned around and looked at Daniel. “Don't cause too much trouble and if you really need something to punch, find a gym bag or something that won't cause too much money to fix.”

            She left Daniel in the living room, and pulled Logan up the stairs and into their, no, his bedroom. She guided Logan to the bed and made him sit down before she sat down next to him, stroking his hands to comfort him. At least if Logan had a moment, she'd be able to calm him down.

~ * ~ * ~ * ~

            Daniel stared at the empty space where Lila once stood. He was amazed by how Lila had reacted; she'd actually shouted at a soon-to-be Alpha and smacked his head without a second thought. He was speechless; Logan had definitely picked himself a lucky one.

            Slumping to the floor, he tried to take Lila's advice. His thoughts drifted to Logan.

            Daniel and Logan had been as thick as thieves before their mother's death and Daniel had always hated Logan afterwards. He'd always thought that his mother loved Logan the most because he'd gotten more of the attention and so when their mother died, Daniel took his anger out on Logan and turned his back on him.

            He'd never thought how badly their mother's death had on Logan. Daniel had always assumed that he was unaffected as he was always expressionless but now... Daniel started to hate himself. He should've realised that Logan never showed his emotions and that the expressionless mask he wore was to cover up his feelings.

            Daniel sighed. He thought back to when he and Logan had been the best of friends, brothers who would do anything for each other. Everyone had said that they were almost the same people but in two bodies but Daniel had always refused to believe that. It was only until now that Daniel had realised how true it had been.

            Realising what an idiot and cruel brother he'd been, he promised himself that he'd make it up to Logan. He seemed to think that that was what Lila was helping him do subtly; make them patch up their mistakes. Lila had tried to encourage Logan into going out more with her brother's friends to socialise more and Daniel wondered whether she realising what she was doing.

            Shaking out of his daydreaming, Daniel rose and stalked out of the house. He wasn't going to mope around all day – he was going to help find Jack and if a hair had been hurt... There was going to be Hell to pay.

-----------------------

Ugh, I was too lazy to write this all day and now it's 1AM in the morning............

Anyway, next chapter might be slightly more interesting!  Um, I'm not happy with this chapter but it's kind of important because you see how the relationship between Daniel & Logan will be affected (and trust me, it'll be shown later on).

Hope you all enjoyed a bit of Daniel's POV! :-)  Votes & comments appreciated!

x