Chapter Fifteen

C H A P T E R F I F T E E N

             Saying Mamaw was angry was a real understatement. The hallways of the pack house had been destroyed; paintings and photographs on the walls were now scattered across the scratched floorboards. Ornaments that were nestled safely on shelves had broken into small, sharp pieces and joined the paintings on the floor. Mamaw was one comment away from shifting, Mamaw's usually soft, calming blue eyes were now a stormy grey. Justin ran back into the hospital room after hearing about the chaos.

             “How bad is it?” Lila asked from the bed, she knew something was wrong. Mamaw's shouting was one clue and the other was that Justin had sprinted into the room and was trying to take her leg out of the sling which was holding it in mid-air.

             “Very bad. Why isn't this working?” Justin mumbled the last question to himself, he was getting stuck with getting Lila's leg out of the sling. After a few minutes of struggling he gave up and just cut the sling in half and lowering Lila's leg down very carefully. He looked around for some sort of blanket to cover her legs.

             “They'll heal in two weeks. Apparently Doctor Reeves injected some sort of drug that would make my wounds heal faster.” Lila commented. If only they had two weeks, it seemed they had two minutes at the maximum before Mamaw would come storming in.

             “Yeah. That would have been great, but no. Who even told Mamaw?”

             “Probably one of the wolves who didn't know how mad Mamaw would get. Didn't you tell everyone not to get a hold of Mamaw?”

             “Yeah. I did. Maybe someone misheard?”

             Lila sighed and lay her head back. There was no point in covering her arm. Mamaw would soon realise that her arm was broken. It was inevitable. Justin rearranged the blankets so it looked like an extra thick blanket, it didn't look as if she had a cast covering her leg. Justin sat down and was ready to discuss a 'story' to tell Mamaw but, speak of the Devil, she came storming in.

             “Lila!” She cried and made her way over, ignoring the fact that she was shaking from anger. “Neither of you start lying to me. What happened?” Mamaw demanded. She could have been an Alpha, Mamaw had that much respect from people she knew and even from strangers! It was the power that radiated off her when she was in one of her moods... like now.

             “I... We...” Lila and Justin simultaneously started to stutter. How were they going to explain what happened? If they told the truth, Mamaw would tear the place down. If they told a lie and Mamaw found out, she'd tear the place down. Either way, it would end up badly.

             “We were playing tag and-” Justin started before Lila cut him off.

             “And one of the players said that I couldn't climb and jump off a tree in wolf form. I, er, had a nasty fall and fell oddly on my arm and then this happened.” Lila pointed to her cast on her arm. Hopefully Mamaw would buy her story. It was kind of close to the truth, sure she didn't exactly jump of the tree but she did have a nasty fall when those... baboons dropped her.

             “Hm. Really?” Mamaw raised her eyebrows. “I heard that there were rogues in the area.”

             “Y-Yeah. I heard Justin warn me a-and I fell. It took me by surprise.” Lila said, her lie beginning to unravel. She knew it was foolish of her to even attempt to lie to Mamaw but it was better than seeing her ruin the beautiful pack house.