Chapter Thirty Two

C H A P T E R T H I R T Y T W O

            Hobbling to the edge of the cliff, Lila took in a deep breath. She could smell the salty water and taste it in her mouth. Sitting down, she made sure that her legs dangled over the edge, but not so much that there was a risk of her falling. She still wasn't strong enough to save herself completely. It had been a month since she got back. Two weeks since Ronnie's trial had started (since he was still alive) and two weeks since she'd read the diary. As she read further into the book, she realised it was Papi's. A journal of his journeys and the one which lead him to the stone.

            Opening the journal, she read it as she fiddled with the stone. She'd hung it on her neck for safe-keeping on this trip she and Logan had taken. They thought they needed to it to do it on their own.

 May 1947

            On my trip throughout Egypt, I realised that the desert's held many secrets. Not only did they hold the pyramids, hiding their King's bodies, but I found an old house. A cave.

            Of course, being nosey and a traveller, I explored. Let me tell you, there was nothing there. Nothing for an adventurer like me. I wasn't going to give up though. The best secrets are hidden extremely well.

            Carefully walking deeper into this cave, I felt as if there was something calling for me. I did hear an anguished cry from deep within the cave. I knew it meant that there were more to this cave. More secrets it could hide.

            The cave got wetter as I travelled deeper. It was almost like a river moving. Following the river's flow, I came to a circled room. All along the walls were various hieroglyphs. I couldn't make out what they meant but I took photos of them. Turns out, I didn't need to.

            In the middle of the room, sat a man. An old, wrinkly looking man. I wasn't sure whether to leave or ask what he was doing. It looked like he'd been there for a while. His bones were prodding out of his skin and he looked feeble. Almost like if he were to move, he'd break every bone in his body.

            But when he spoke, that was when I was frozen. He spoke like an old wiseman. It seemed that he possessed an infinite amount of wisdom.

            “Son...” His voice rang towards me. “Come closer. I dare not hurt you.”

            Me, being the young, naïve man I am, listened and stepped foot over the threshold. Instantly, the walls connected together, trapping me in that room. I was frightened to what was going to happen.

            “Who are you?” I had asked, acting brave. My wolf was telling me this man meant no danger, but I was still wary. He must've been strong to survive in here. It was basically dust and it had taken me hours to get down to where I was then.

            “Me? I am a carrier, like you, Gary Edward Yang.” When he said my full name, I had gone onto an instant alert. I'd never seen that man before yet he knew my name.

            “A carrier? Of what?” I had asked him, wanting to know what he meant. I should have been more focused on my well-being but no, I decided against that. This man was a curious case. He was odd.

            “Of the stone. Of the stone of power.” He said. Stretching his arms out, I saw a bright, red, sparkling jewel in his hands. “Take it. It's yours now.”

            Making my way over there, I gently took the stone from his hands. After, he had retracted them.

            “You must hide that stone, and give it to your grandchild.” I was baffled. I don't have grandchildren! I hadn't even met my mate yet!