Chapter {26}

School is fr terrible.

Enjoy the chapter!
____________________

"Dad?" Lucy walked into the hospital room slowly. Her right hand holding onto the doorknob firmly as she pushed the door open.

Natsu made sure to stay right on her tail as they walked in.

"Dad?" She repeats once she is truly inside the room.

He's laying in the hospital bed, attached to a number of machines. His skin was pale and his breathing was uneven. Lucy's hands knitted together in front of her as she stepped towards her father.

His red and droopy eyes opened and slowly looked her up and down. "L-Layla?" He asks blinking his eyes. His voice came out low and raspy. It sounded as if it was a struggle for him to talk.

"No, it's Lucy." She says.

His lips fall into a frown after his realization. "Oh." He says simply.

Lucy feels her anger begin to surface. Was she not good enough? Was he not even thankful that she came all this way for him? She clenches than unclenches her fists, to contain her anger.

"Uhm... How are you?" She asks as calm as she possibly could be.

"Terrible." He says. "I dont think I have much longer than a few weeks to live, and there's not a good chance I'll get a kidney donor." He blurts out.

Lucy was surprised at his bluntness. And he said it as if he didn't care at all about his predicament. "The doctors said that?" Lucy asks.

He shakes his head. "No, but under my circumstances, I don't need a doctor to tell me anything." He says.

Lucy and Natsu exchange a quick glance at each other. Her father sounded as if he wanted to die. "D-Don't just give up hope-" she's cut off by her father.

"There is no hope. My business is falling apart so there's nothing to live for anyway. This is probably for the best." He says, a terrible wheezing cough following his words.

Natsu was surprised at what lucy's father said. She wasn't kidding when she told him work was everything to her father. All he could think about was his job, even in a situation like this!

"There are still reasons to live!" Lucy says.

Her father blinks his eyes slowly as his face goes blank. "I don't see any."

Heartless.

Lucy furrows her eyebrows. "Really? All you live for is your business?" Lucy asks. And he nods quickly, another cough following.

Lucy could feel her anger slowly being replaced with a different feeling. Something her father never failed in making her feel.

"What about me? Aren't I enough reason to live?" Lucy asks.

He looked at her blankly. "You want me to choose between something that gives me money and food and a home...and you?" He asks. "You believe you're more important than my job?" He asks.

Natsu's eyes widen at the scene. He hoped with all is heart this was a joke, though he only found seriousness in Jude's eyes. Natsu could tell that Jude thought that what he was saying... was right. And he fully believed in it.

"You were the reason I had to get such a well paying job in the first place." He says.

Here it was, that feeling again. It began to feel stronger and stronger the more he talked. Lucy wondered if it was a mistake to come here.