Chapter 16

Elaina's POV

I'm startled awake by an intense feeling of panic banging in my chest but it's not my fear, it's someone else's.

"Xavier," I mumble.  I quickly let down my mental barrier, immediately hearing his wolf howl in agony.

"I'm so sorry Xavier, I-I fell asleep," I whisper through the mind link, feeling like a horrible person.  He's been worried sick thinking I killed myself while I slept, admittedly having a nightmare, but still.

"I thought I was losing you," he whispers through the link. "Please come back."

The second his voice breaks, my willpower disappears. "Okay," I mumble over the link.

He immediately starts howling with joy. "Where are you? I'll come get you!"

I tell him what pack I'm with, and he immediately shuts off the link, presumably on his way. I'm not quite sure how I feel about this. In the confused haze of my mind, I distinguish two strong emotions. Relief and fear. I shakily get up, grab my suicide note and pocket it, not even bothering to get changed into something that covers the bandages covering my arms. I'm off to deliver the news - bad or good, I haven't yet decided.

I eventually find Kaeden and Cat in the kitchen, munching on fruit and chatting casually, and the moment they see my pale face, they know something's wrong. I slowly walk over and sit with them, keeping my eyes on the shiny counter that I feel the need to just clean instead of talking. "I said I would g-go back."

My eyes meet Cat's then Kaeden's, feeling sick to my stomach. "And I'm terrified."

"Wait- go back. What are you talking about?" Cat says.

"Xavier. H-He's coming to get me, I told him where we are, I feel so horrible for l-leaving. I don't know what to do, I j-just feel . . . too much," I sob into my hands. They both come around the counter and hug me. I flinch, but am for once completely grateful that they're touching me. I'm so glad I have them, but now I need to leave them. The thought makes more tears come out. "I d-don't want to leave you guys," I sniff, hugging them tightly, making my cuts throb. They finally let go and mind link for a few seconds before looking back at me.

"We'll come with you!" Cat says happily, making my eyes water.

"Don't you guys need to stay here?" I ask, but I really want them to come with me, as selfish as it is.

"Don't worry about it Lainey, we'll be there for you," Kaeden answers, wrapping an arm around my shoulders.

"Thank you so much," I sob into his shoulder. I feel Cat's comforting hand on my arm and slowly stop crying. "I'm just really afraid. I can't get hurt again, I'll die."

I raise my head and am engulfed in a group hug. I think I finally love someone other than my mother. It's been a long time, but I think I've found some true friends. I'm still wary of letting people in but I'll try out this whole friend thing; I've never really had a friend before. I would just play with my brother and my mom, but that was too good to last. She's dead, and now my family and old pack hate me. After that whole ordeal, I just learned to shut people out but maybe I should try loving someone again. Maybe even Xavier? I know it's stupid but I'm still not sure. To give someone as much love and trust a mate receives only to have it crushed would kill me.

"Well, we should probably go talk to our parents," Cat says to Kaeden who nods and lets go of me. Cat gives my hand one last squeeze and they both leave, off to their respective families. I shakily pour myself a cup of water and gulp it down, still half-regretting telling Xavier where I am. I put the cup in the sink and go back up to my room, my legs like jelly and my chest weighed down with fear.

I slowly open the door to my room and walk in, finding some suitcases to pack all my possessions. I go through my closet and drawers, taking everything out and slowly folding them so they all fit in the bags I have. I get a couple boxes and put all my books, journals, and art supplies in them, wanting the comfort they'll bring me while I'm adjusting to living with Xavier. I look over to the outfit I left out of my bags and sigh before slipping off my pajamas and putting on the black jeans and My Chemical Romance shirt I insisted on getting after listening to their music. I shove my pajamas in my bags, along with my toiletries, before dragging all my stuff to the entrance of my room, deciding to just leave them there for now.

By the time I finish packing, Cat and Kaeden have also started packing some stuff and talking to their families about the situation. They've decided to switch schools and everything. Honestly, the lengths they're going to just to support me is touching, but I also feel my eyes watering when I think of how I'm probably ruining their lives. Maybe telling them about Xavier coming to get me was a mistake. I want to feel safe while I'm there, but I don't want them to uproot themselves from the lives they've built here. I go into Cat's room to find her packing her countless dresses into a big bag, next to a huge box labeled 'Shoes: FRAGILE'.

"Hey Cat, c-can I talk to you?" I cringe when I hear my stutter; it's a nervous habit I get when I'm really anxious or scared. She turns with a gentle smile.

"Of course, what's up?"

I shakily adjust the bandages on my arms, straightening them out before squeezing my forearm. "Are you sure you and Kaeden should come with me? I don't want to be the one who ruined your lives."

She comes over and puts her arm on my shoulder. I flinch out of instinct but look up at her, fearing to see the look of hatred I've gotten so many times before. I'm met however, with a happily sad look. "Of course I'll miss my family, so will Kaeden. I haven't known you long but I just feel the strong urge to protect you. We're coming with you, Oregon isn't too far, we could always come back to visit. It's not like we're moving to a different country, it'll be fine. I just know that you need Kaeden and I a hell of a lot more than I need to stay here, and for what? I don't exactly have a ton of friends, neither does Kaeden. We'll be fine, and you will to. Okay?"

I give her a watery smile and a hug. "Okay. I'm gonna go lie down, I feel exhausted."

Both emotionally and physically, I'm completely drained, so I tiredly stumble back to my room and crawl back into bed, with all my clothes on, barely stopping to take off my jewelry beforehand. The last thing I feel before passing out is of course a huge amount of anxiety and sadness, but also a sliver of hope. I just hope it's not stomped on this time.

************************************

Vote Goal: 50? Sorry if it's too much but thank you for voting :)

YOU GUYS I'M NOT DEAD I just had a lot of writers block. But anyway, I know a lot of people didn't want her to go back to Xavier, but a lot do so I don't know I'm conflicted on what to do next; I want to make sure everyone enjoys or at least accepts the outcome of the book, so please comment and let me know.

Anyway thanks so much for reading, voting, commenting, etc. the support has been amazing even though I suck at consistently updating hehe

~MysticWillows