Chapter 10

The pic is of Catherine's room~>

OMGOMGOMGOMG I'M SORRY! I know, I haven't updated in months, and I'm sorry! Crappy excuse, but basically, something terrible happened a while ago and I tried to write, but I don't really like how the last chapter went down, but I kinda do, but ew no. Anyway, something really bad happened and I think the full sadness finally hit me after I posted Chapter 9 to the point where I would just start randomly crying, and everything reminds me of said sad event, and I couldn't bring myself to write, then I went to Digi fest which was shitty and really expensive, and then everyone forgot about my birthday which was less awesome, I have an exhausting summer assignment ... and here I am. Writing once again, hooray! Thank you for enduring (or ignoring) my rant, and here's the chapter, finally!

**************************************

Elaina's POV

I lean back in the front seat of Garret's car, thinking. Thinking maybe I made a mistake. I mean, what if this new pack is the same as my old one? What if they hurt me? I can't go back to my pack, and Xavier's is just out of the question. I mean, they seemed nice enough, but I don't want to get attached, especially to Xavier. Eventually something bad would happen to either him or I, and I don't know if I can take anymore pain.

I rub my temples, trying to un-scramble my thoughts. I don't know if I want to make any new friends here, I mean, so many bad things could happen ... is it worth it? To have a friend? Someone to turn to and have fun with? Maybe ... should I try? Or just run off again? To be honest, I kind of feel like a coward for just running away from my problems, but at the same time, I really can't take the pain anymore. My scars are fading, and my bruises are going away, but my memories are gonna haunt me forever and I'm terrified that something bad is going to happen and fuck up my mind even more.

Ugh, I should be saying this to a therapist, not myself! I'm gonna push myself into an existential crisis if I keep questioning everything. I guess I'll just see how everything plays out with this new pack, keep my guard up. The car slows down and I snap out of my thoughts to see that we're parked in a circular driveway with several big houses around it. "We're here," Garret says cheerily.

I take a deep breath. This is it, I'm actually doing this. I nervously bite my lip as I gaze out the window one last time before opening the door and stepping out, my legs still weak from running so much. I softly close the door before being joined by Catherine, who loops her arm through mine and gives me a smile. "Excited?"

"Scared is more like it, but I guess," I mutter, and she squeezes my arm.

"Don't worry, everyone's pretty nice, and our pack isn't too big. C'mon, let's go have some food, it looks like you need it," she says, pulling me closer to one of the houses, a tall, three-story white one with navy blue borders and a big oak door. We walk up the pavement to the door, Garret a few steps in front of us. He unlocks the door and swings it open, revealing a clean, comfortable, beautiful home with people walking around inside. When I step through the door, sure I get a few curious looks, but nobody glares at me like they did at my old pack, so that's a good sign. Catherine leads me to the kitchen while Garret goes to take care of some 'Alpha business' that he didn't get to finish before coming to pick us up.

Catherine goes to the pantry and starts taking stuff out, then the fridge. I don't know what to do, so I just sit on a stool at the island. "Do you need any help?" I ask, but she declines.

"Thanks but no way, you've done enough for other people, you won't have to work so hard here," she says, and I smile a little to myself.

I'm usually the one doing everything, so this is a nice change. "Thanks," I mumble. I close my eyes, sigh and lean my face against my palms, using my fingers to massage my scalp. I relax my shoulders and open my eyes again after a few minutes, only to be faced with a grilled cheese with tomatoes on a pretty flower-patterned plate. I straighten my back, drop my hands back into my lap and grin up at Catherine. "Thanks again." she nods and smiles in response, sitting down opposite of me with a sandwich of her own.