Chapter 9

Elaina's POV

Catherine slowly sits me down, with her across from me. I pull up a few blades of grass as I try not to make eye contact. I mean, I never even told Xavier what I went through, and he's my mate. I just don't know what to do now, I don't know what to expect. "Elaina?" Catherine asks, receiving my attention. "I mind linked my brother. He knows you're coming, and I told him that you're in a fragile state."

"Wait, did you-" I cut off, not even wanting to say it out loud. Catherine half smiles with pity in her eyes.

"No, I didn't tell him about what you went through, and I didn't contact Xavier." Oh yeah, I even told her about having a mate. Hopefully she doesn't betray my trust and contact him. I barely know her, and I just pray I haven't bestowed my trust upon someone who will use it against me.

I frown. I don't want to deal with Xavier right now, but I feel really bad about destroying his chance of having true happiness with a mate. Hopefully he has a second chance mate, but they're awfully rare. Only four or five percent of the werewolf population have ever been known to have a second chance mate.

I know Catherine thinks I should at least mind link him, but I couldn't bare to do it. First of all, he could track me or beg my wolf to tell him where I am. Second of all, I'm too weak when it comes to other people's emotions. If I hear how broken up he is, assuming he even cares I left, I wouldn't have the heart to just block off the mind link. I already feel him trying to mind link me, but I just block him out of my mind. Third of all, I'm afraid. I'm afraid of the emotions that go through me when I just hear his name. I wouldn't be able to handle hearing his voice. I mean, I know he'll inevitably hurt me in some way, but we are mates after all. And there's no way to get rid of those feelings. My best shot is just to ignore them and hope they fade in time.

"Okay," I say after realizing I hadn't responded. "I just need to get my bag, and we can head to your pack." Oh my God, I think that's the longest thing I've ever said without crying or stuttering. I'm gonna take this as a good sign.

I pick up my duffel bag, swing it over my shoulder, and turn around to see Catherine staring at it in astonishment. "That's all you have?" she asks. I nod. "Oh honey, I've gotta take you shopping. " I laugh at that, but abruptly stop. Wait- did I just laugh? Like, genuinely laugh? Oh my God. That's amazing! I was beginning to think I would never laugh again. "If you're too tired, I could just have my brother come and pick us up in his car."

I think about it. I am exhausted. "Sure. I mean- if that's okay with you." She smiles and nods before her eyes stare off into space and her blue eyes flash green. It must be her wolf's eye color, I think to myself.

"Alright, he's coming to pick us up, we just have to meet him at the road that's near here," she says, smiling. I nod and start following her to wherever the road is. I don't think a road is anywhere near the forest from my pack. Wow, I must've run really far. As I trail behind Catherine, the adrenaline from running wears off and my legs start aching, and they feel like lead. I drag my feet and just focus my energy on keeping my legs moving. In fact, I'm so focused on walking that I almost bump into Catherine when she stops at a road. I take a few calming breaths as a shiny black car drives toward us.

It stops and a handsome guy around my age steps out of the car, directing a warm smile at Catherine and I. He quickly runs his hand through his longish blonde hair and I notice he looks a lot like his sister. Blonde hair, tan skin, kind features, the only difference is that he has greenish brownish eyes instead of blue. "Hey, I'm Garret. Nice to meet you."

I timidly shake his outstretched hand and watch as my small one gets engulfed by his larger one. I also notice how his touch isn't as warm as Xavier's, but I force thoughts of him out of my head and focus on Garret's kindness. "Th-thank you for accepting me, Alpha," I say quietly with a small nod of my head. He waves my thanks away and laughs.

"No need to thank me. It is an honor to have an alpha's daughter here anyway," he says in reply. He smiles at me again and this time I return it, managing to keep my head up, but I still don't look him in the eye for more than a second at a time. Baby steps, Elaina, baby steps. Maybe one day I'll be able to carry a normal conversation. One day.

"Well, after you," Garret says, opening the door for me. That's probably the nicest thing anyone's ever done for me, so I thank him and get in the passenger seat of Garret's car, sighing in relief when my legs are relieved from their burden. I'm surprised I was able to run for so long, actually, because if I wasn't so panicked and scared, I probably would've passed out and gotten caught. Thinking back on this, I send a quick thank-you to the Moon Goddess for helping me get away.

Catherine gets in the seat behind me, and soon the car roars to life and carries me even farther away from Xavier and my old pack to a place which is surely a safe haven.

*******************************************************************

Yay I updated! Julie, you don't have to kill me now! On a darker note, I got several mosquito bites on my legs :( DAMN YOU SUMMER!!!

Thank you guys so much for reading! I know it's short, but thank you! Vote, comment, follow, all that shtuff! Byeeeee

~MysticWillows