Chapter 3

Elaina's POV

I don't want to move in with Xavier! I mean, I don't want to go back to my old pack, but I don't want to go with him either! All I want is to live somewhere completely secluded. Somewhere with absolutely no one else, and no chance of anyone hurting me ever again. No chance of it being remotely possible for anyone to hurt me ever again.

"If you're healthy enough," Xavier's voice startles me, "I was hoping you could come home today."

My head jerks up, abandoning its defensive placement against my knees. Shock and fear at the idea of going home with a virtual stranger shoots through my curled up body. My nails press painfully into my arms, holding my legs against my chest with all my strength as if I were my own stress ball. I choke down the urge to cry in frustration at the seemingly helpless situation and take a deep breath, preparing to speak.

"Today?" I croak, my voice barely above a whisper. My wide eyes meet his intense ones, striking up a new wave of emotion. No no no, I don't like this at all. I can't run away, I'm too weak. What do I do?

Xavier looks surprised at me talking, and hypnotized by my voice. It must be that whole 'mate connection' thing. He just stares into my disgusting blue eyes unblinkingly, with a small smile on his face. Slowly, his grin widens into a full blown smile, the top row of his perfectly straight pearly whites on display.

Next thing I know, his large, muscular arms wrap around me, and I'm being pulled into his lap. I hold completely still, curled up in a ball, my jaw clenched tightly in fear. I can't put my head back down, though, because my head is now on Xavier's shoulder, and his head is at the crook of my neck. Is he going to start strangling me? Or maybe he's looking for weak spots. My old pack found a pressure point on the back of my neck that makes me pass out. They used it to further torment me.

"Please don't be afraid," he says softly into my long, dark brown hair. "I'm not going to hurt you."

Yeah, right. Does he really expect me to believe that? Well, I won't. I've been through too much to trust anyone. I've built up walls and they're not coming down for anyone. Not even my supposed soulmate. My life thus far has been nothing but pain, betrayal, and disappointment. Why should this be any different?

"Please talk to me! I need to hear your beautiful voice clearly," he begs, hugging me closer. This torrent of attention and fake affection makes me want to crawl into a hole and die. I want to bust out of his arms, but I fear what he'll do to me if I resist him.

Why does he feel the need to compliment me? Any minute now he'll drop the act and start laughing or worse. It almost makes me angry that he's pretending to not be like everyone else.  What sort of sick joke is this? I suppose I should speak up soon, before his grip tightens any more.

"Please leave me alone," I say quietly.

His head shoots up and he stares into my eyes yet again. I look away because I don't like making eye contact. It's just so awkward, and it usually results in me getting beaten up for 'disrespecting' whoever I make eye contact with. Xavier's hold on me is looser now, but still firm enough that my subtle struggling is useless.

Suddenly, I'm twisted around in his lap so my back is pressed up against his hard chest, and his arms are circling my waist and arms. His lips get closer to my right ear, fanning warm breath over my neck, and making me cringe back in fright. I suppress my scream, letting out a squeak instead.

"I can't leave you alone," he says softly, placing his head on my right shoulder. "You are my mate, the one meant for me. I'm sorry, I know you're afraid. I know what you've been through, but I'm here to help you . . . to love you."

The last part of his sentence is so quiet that if I didn't have my werewolf senses, I wouldn't have heard him. He's here to love me? No one could ever love me. I'm too damaged for anyone to truly care for me.

When you go to the store, you don't buy something that's been ripped open, beaten up, and stepped on. You always buy the one with a glossy, new, flawless appearance. The one that's in perfect condition. And I, Elaina Wilson, am not in perfect condition. I'm not even close to being in perfect condition. Far from it, actually.

"Why don't you just get it over with and reject me?" I ask, closing my eyes and furrowing my eyebrows.

He completely stiffens before sighing. He caresses my left cheek and kisses my right, making me flinch. He pecks my jaw a few times before saying, "I'm not rejecting you. Eventually you'll trust me, I just hope it's soon, but I'm willing to wait. I will wait for you."

Rather than comfort me, this makes me feel worse. I don't want him to wait for me! I want to be left alone! A few tears escape my still-closed eyes and stream down my cheeks, soon joined by others, which all drip down on to Xavier's arms, which are still wrapped around me.

I feel his hands wipe my tears, but the flow doesn't stop, and he's still trying to comfort me when the door opens and the doctor walks in with pity in her eyes. "Alpha, your mate is ready to leave, I just need you to sign these forms, then you can leave."

Xavier gets up, leaving me slightly colder, yet calmer and takes the clipboard and pen, putting down his signature. My tears slowly stop and I wipe them off my damp cheeks. I rub my eyes and run my hand over my cheeks one last time before shakily standing up.

I suppose I have to go with him, but once I'm strong enough, I'm sure as hell not staying.

************************************************************************

Vote Goal: 3 Please! Thanks!

OMG, FINALLY UPDATED! Sorry I keep taking so long to update all my books, just . . . shit's happening. Also, Halloween was yesterday, and I've been in a sugar coma since last night, so . . . yeah.

Thanks so much for reading! Vote, comment, follow, share, all that good stuff! Bye!

~MysticWillows