Chapter 4

Elaina's POV

Both Xavier and the doctor look at me with a shocked expression when I stand up and walk slowly toward them to the point where I feel like disappearing. Stop staring at me! I stand quietly about three feet away from both, close enough, yet far enough away, looking down at my feet, trying not to cry. My hair hangs down and covers about half my face, thankfully. Now if only it could cover my entire face . . .

Xavier doesn't touch me, but when he starts walking out of the hospital and waves me over with a gentle smile, I flinch before slowly following him. We eventually get to a shiny, black car, and Xavier opens the passenger side door for me. I uneasily slide into the seat and just hope that he doesn't do anything. I click the seat belt into place and scoot as far away from the driver's seat as I can.

After maybe ten minutes of uncomfortable silence, Xavier says, "I hope you realize that you're going to have to meet your new pack. And, you have to be welcomed into the pack as Luna."

I squeeze my eyes shut, facing the window, tensing up my shoulders. I seriously just feel like crying right now. I don't want to be the luna of anything. I don't want to have a pack. I don't want to be welcomed. I just don't want to be here. I honestly just want to just jump out of this car and run off to some far off place where no one else lives.

I sigh, press myself up against the door, trying to be farther away from my mate, and wipe away a tear that managed to squeeze itself out of my left eye. My head and throat start aching like crazy, just like every time I cry, and I take a few deep breaths, trying to regain control over my emotions.

"Are-Are you okay?" Xavier asks me hesitantly. No offense, but that's kinda a stupid question.

I simply don't respond and continue internally wishing that we could just get in a car crash that kills me. Well, okay, maybe not as far as killing me, just . . . putting me in a coma, or if I'm blessed enough, makes me lose my memory. I think I would be absolutely fine with losing my memory.

Soon, the car starts slowing down, and my eyes reluctantly open to see the huge mansion-like pack house and a dark, star-speckled sky. Oh God, there must be so many people in there . . . and they're going to be staring at me. Great. I wonder if I'll be sleeping in the basement again, or if there's so many people that I'll have to sleep outside?

I slept outside a few times at my old pack. The alpha made me sleep in a small dog house. He even put a leash on me, and everyone laughed as they passed, and took pictures. It was one of the most embarassing days of my life, and I was only ten. Oh, and even better, those pictures are found in a lot of the rooms at the old pack house. Everyone else thinks of it as a good memory.

I unbuckle the seatbelt with a feeling of dread growing in my stomach. I open my own door, to the apparent disappointment of Xavier, and shakily step out of the car, feeling particularly nauseous. I fix my hair so it covers a bit more of my face, and look down at my feet while following Xavier at a distance. He waits for me by the door, and when I get there, he warns me, "Just to let you know, the pack is very excited to meet you."

Of course, this only makes me feel worse, and I cautiously step inside, actually wanting to die when I see what must be the whole pack squished in the first floor, all trying to see me.

"WELCOME HOME, LUNA!" they all scream, making me flinch back horribly.

Why me?! It could've been any other girl. Why ME?! This is so unfair . . .

"This is so unfair!" I hear a high pitched voice screech. Yeah, I know, right? "I should be up there, not that bitch!" Okay, that was a bit uncalled for, but I've been called worse.