32: Family, Bars, & Harry Styles

-Amber-

"So, who's this boy you've been spending quite a lot of time with?"

My cheeks crimson as I look back at my dad, the smirk on his pale lips only making me blush harder.

"W-What are you talking about?" I pretend to not know anything, examining my uninteresting nails. My thoughts flicker back to yesterday; how much of a wonderful birthday I had had with Harry. He was brilliant. He truly was.

My father chuckles. "Your mother told me you went out with some lad. No names were mentioned, but I hope that will change."

"He's just a friend, Daddy." I lie, awkwardly tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

Dad raises an eyebrow. "A very close friend, eh?"

"Just a little bit." I bite my lip, holding back a smile at the mere thought of Harry. "We're close."

"Close."

"Very close."

"But not too close, right?" Dad crosses his arms. I flush, quickly shaking my head. That only earns me more chuckles from my father.

"I want to meet this boy." He decides, sitting up straighter. "If he can make my daughter smile more than I can, then we've got a problem." I tilt my head back, laughter escaping my lips.

"Daddy!!"

My father innocently shrugs, stifling his own laughter. "You know I love you."

"I do." I giggle, resting my arms on the edge of his bed.

"Now tell me," He begins. "Is he treating you well?"

I let myself smile. "He's brilliant."

Dad nods approvingly. "That's good. No drugs? Alcohol?"

"Dad!" I exclaim, unable to believe he was taking the questions to the extreme. I still couldn't help but laugh a little.

"I'm serious." He points out. "No drugs or alcohol?"

"No drugs." I assure him, my laughter dying down to a chuckle. My father looks at my curiously. "You didn't mention the alcohol."

"Dad!" I repeat, blinking at him. "You're unbelievable."

"I want you to be safe." He sighs, resting his hand on mine. "I don't want you hurt."

"I know." I say. "Don't worry about me. I'm nineteen." I remind him.

"Right, right." Dad holds up his hands as if to surrender. "I almost forgot." Chuckling, my eyes flitter over to the clock on the wall. It was past noon. I promised Harry this morning that I'd go out to lunch with him. After all, we'd be going back to L.A. tomorrow. I didn't want to leave my dad, but I know I had to finish the movie. Once it's over, I'd come back here to recover all the years my father had missed. But I didn't want to leave Harry either. He's in a band; he'll be recording an album and touring the world. I'm not sure how it's ever going to work between us. I just knew that somehow I was going to make it work. I loved him and I wanted to spend as much time possible with him as well as my father.

"Need to be somewhere?" Dad questions, noticing how my eyes were suddenly glue to the clock. I nod my head in response.

"I've got lunch plans." I admit.

"I see." Dad fakes a look of mock hurt. "I never thought I'd come in second."

"You're never second!" I promise him, leaning over to kiss his cheek. "You're always number one."