24: Texts, Takeout, & Harry Styles

—Amber—

I tried not to think about the kiss as I slide into the cab's seat beside Harry. I hadn't spoken to him outside of shooting, though he's tried to talk to me many times. I knew I had to speak to him sooner or later. I didn't want that stage kiss to make things awkward between us.

I closed the cab's door, staring out the window as the driver starts the engine. I'm the one making things awkward, I realize. I should just break the silence and pretend nothing happened. But as I slowly turn my head to say something, his green eyes meet mine and I notice he'd been staring. Instinctively, my head snaps back and I lean it against the window, swallowing the lump that had formed in my throat.

"Amber," Suddenly his large hand is on my knee and I can feel his warm breath on my neck. He was too close. A lot too close. I go to turn my head and tell him to back off a bit but my nose crashes into his, sending shivers down my spine.

"It was just a stage kiss, Amber." Harry whispers, his nose still grazing against mine. "I don't know why you're so jumpy."

Gently placing my hand on his chest, I push him away, hoping he hadn't noticed the crimson color my cheeks had begun to turn. "Can we not talk about it?"

"As you wish." Harry smirks, folding his hands on his lap. "So, what's for dinner?" As if on cue, my stomach releases a pretty loud grumble. Thankful for the change of subject, I feel my body relax. I hadn't realized how stiff I'd been until now.

"We can order takeout." I offer. "L.A. has the best Chinese takeout."
A smile curves onto Harry's lip, both dimples showing on his cheeks. "I guess I'll find out." I took that as a yes.

—Harry—

Amber ordered the food on our way to the flat so we wouldn't have to wait when we got there. The lift ride was silent and my eyes were focused on Amber the whole time. The way she fiddled with her fingers or messed with the edges of her shirt was so cute. She was cute. She was fit, beautiful, and I wanted to smack myself for not realizing it until recently.

She was everything I've ever wanted.

The doors slide open, breaking me out of my thoughts. I follow Amber out and towards the door to our flat. Outside sat both our suitcases, letting us know that Liam had kept his word and dropped them off. As Amber unlocks the door, I grab both cases and pull them inside.

"Nice to be back." I say, dropping the luggage by the couch.

"I guess." Amber mutters, pulling her phone out her pocket, replying to a text. I can't help but wonder who it was. At the same time, the doorbell rings and I'm up before Amber can get to it. I pry it open to find an older-looking Chinese man standing there. He holds out a bag containing Amber's order of Chinese food for us.

"Thank you." I smile, digging in my pocket for money as I take the bag from him. I pull out a ten dollar bill, giving it to him as a tip.

"Thank you." He says in his accent, waving to me as I go to close the door. "Enjoy."

"That's the food?" Amber's voice speaks up and I turn around, nodding in her direction. I walk over and drop it off on the counter, taking the box out of the bag and letting the familiar smell of Chinese food fill my nostrils.

"Finally," Amber opens up the box. "I'm starving." My eyes flicker to the pair of chopsticks that sat in the bag. I reach over and grab them, wondering how exactly Asians were capable of picking up food with these.

"You're not actually going to use those, are you?" Amber questions; raising an eyebrow at me as she searches for a spoon or fork in the kitchen drawers. I smirk, taking the chopsticks and stabbing them into the fried rice.