Chapter Twenty Four

C H A P T E R T W E N T Y F O U R

            It had been two days since Jack had gone missing. There were no clues as to where he was either. The whole town had been searched but nothing had come up. Lila and Justin hadn't had any luck either; they'd gone looking for Jack secretly.

            Daniel and Logan had sobered up and gone looking too but even with the whole town looking, no one could find him.

            “Do we really want to be doing this?” Justin asked Lila who sighed.

            “Yeah. If you have any doubts, I'll do it myself.” Lila had received a note on her bed that morning, telling her that if she wanted to get Jack back, she'd have to meet these people in a warehouse in the next town over.

            “No it's just that shouldn't you tell Logan? What if it's a trap?”

            “If Logan knows, he'll insist on coming and he might blow up.”

            “You don't even know who these people are!” Justin threw his hands in the air. Lila rolled her eyes. She had her reasons for not telling Logan, somehow the note hinted to her to not bring anyone but she wasn't stupid. She wasn't going to go in alone.

            “It's a risk I'm willing to take.”

            Lila looked around her room, figuring out how the person would have got in. The front door was locked and so were all the windows. Frowning, she decided not to dwell on it any more. She was wondering how she'd get to the next town; she could get the bus or train. If they took Justin's car, someone would know.

            “We're telling Mamaw, right?” Lila turned to look at Justin. Of course they were going to tell Mamaw!

            “Duh.”

            “So how is this going to work then? We go straight there or what?” Lila hadn't let Justin read the letter, yet.

            “No... It says to meet them in the warehouse at 7PM.” The letter said that they shouldn't arrive any earlier or any later.

            “So we're spending the whole day...?” Justin trailed off, waiting for Lila to say something.

            “Spending the day with friends, looking for this stone... Like the usual day.” Justin nodded.

            Lila was annoyed that she couldn't find this stone. They hadn't asked Mamaw in fear of what she would say. How was Lila going to explain that she had a hunch that the necklace Papi gave her, was some stone that needed to be protected?

            “I'm gunna run down to the shop. You need anything?” Lila asked.

            “I'm alright.” Lila nodded and jogged out her room and down the stairs. Putting on some dolly shoes, Lila picked up her bag (which had keys and her purse in) and walked out the house.

            She was walking down the street, watching the streets trying to figure out who put the note in her home. It was obvious that it was someone who wanted her there; it was addressed to her.