Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

I wake up extra early this morning so that I have time to go catch something to eat. With a big stretch and a slight yawn, I force myself out of bed and walk to my closet. I reach for a blue tank top, which to my surprise had already been hung in the closet with matching shorts; my grey and blue running shoes, and then I tie my hair in a ponytail. The one that thing my mom taught me is that if I decide to go for a hunt in the morning, I need to put on a running outfit so it looks as if I just went for a nice morning jog.  

Placing my hands on the golden doorknobs to my balcony doors, I flinging them both open. Feeling extra confident today, I grab the rail; pushing my feet up straight into the air, feeling the wind blowing through my clothes and my hair sliding down my shoulders and arms. I smile confidentially as I flip off of the balcony, landing perfectly on my feet. I smile, satisfied that I still know how to do such things. 

Maybe I should try to get on the Cheer team again.

Using my speed, I'm almost deafened by the wind howling in my ears as I scan the trees looking for something to eat. As I begin to hear movement, I stop in my tracks, listening harder around myself to pinpoint the noise. There were small movements coming from the right of me, sounding as if a small animal were walking around. It pops it's head out, revealing a snow-white rabbit. I tilt my head to the side a bit, wondering why it's just out in the open with no other creature in sight. As it begins to run away from me, I snap back into reality and use my speed to cut it off and grab it. 

No remorse, just eat.  

I do just as my mom told me, extending my fangs and pushing them into the little rabbit's neck, staining its white fur with its own blood as its high-pitched squeals filled my ears. It was a beautiful sight, the blood staining deep red into the pure white. Something about it made me smile, but a bigger part of me felt sorry for the animal. 

Once I'm finished draining the bunny, I dig up a small hole for the corpse. 

Am I supposed to feel bad for these creatures? Do wolves feel bad when they rip humans apart? Is it just our nature to be monsters? 

Shaking my head, I make my way back home and run up the stairs. Deciding that because it was only seven, and that school didn't start until eight- I had enough time left over to take my time getting ready.

Was it bad that I wanted to look good today?  

I take a quick shower, the warm water reminding me of Nate's skin on mine. Every part of me craved to feel his touch again, to feel his lips against mine and his arms wrapped around me. I wanted nothing more than to be in his presence. But I didn't understand why my feelings for him were so strong... I may have gotten to know him, but I still don't know him. Pushing the thoughts from my mind, I turn off the water and wrap myself in a towel. Heading towards my closet, I envision my outfit before picking out a good match.

I decide on a burgundy heart shaped crop top, black skinny jeans and matching burgundy vans.  When taking a look in the mirror, I realized that I have not once seen these clothes in particular in my room before. Did mom go shopping? Or was it from the previous owners? 

Grabbing my bag, I head down the stairs, convincing myself that I'd be better off not knowing the answer to that question.

"Dang girl! You look hot!" I hear my mom's voice from the kitchen as I reach the last step. 

She's wearing a long, skintight black dress and matching black pumps. Her hair was wrapped in a not so messy bun that sat on the top of her head with pieces of her dark brown locks tucked behind her ear, and two curls hanging in front of her face.