Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"Hey sweetie, can I come in?" I hear my mothers voice through my bedroom door along with a soft knock. She must've just gotten home from work, while I've been here doing the pointless homework assessments that have been given to me by all of my teachers. 

"Yeah, what's up?" I sit up from the headboard of my bed, pushing the binders and paperwork off of my lap while looking up at her as she makes her way into my room. "How were your interviews?" 

"Good," she nods her head. "I got a job at the hospital. Full time." She shrugged her shoulders, seeming slightly upset. She took a seat on the edge of the bed in front of me.

"That's great, isn't it?" I asked, staring at her expectantly.  "Why do you seem so down?" 

"Well apparently, I have to go on a two month trip for training." She sighed softly. I raised my eyebrows at her, shock spreading through out my body. 

I know this is a great opportunity for her, but the thing is... a two-month trip? I've only been without my mom- for the longest- a week, and in that week, I almost burned down our house. What am I supposed to do in this mansion for two whole months? She hasn't even gotten me a cell phone yet, and she's trusting me here? Alone?  

"Well, when do you leave?" I finally ask, digesting her information.

"Tonight, if I decide that I can go." I swallow, taking in the information she's just given me. "But that's not all, I know you're probably scared about this whole idea about you being alone, so I talked to one of your friend's parent's about them staying here until I return."

Immediately I stare up at her, excitement spreading throughout my mind at the thought of Callie staying here with me. Callie and I have become extremely close in the two days that we have been friends, and I feel extremely lucky to have her by my side. 

Wolves aren't all bad. 

We both turn our attention to the door as it flies open. All of the excitement that I once felt in my body was gone in seconds as I'm met with light brown eyes instead of the Hazel one's that I had been expecting. I wanted nothing more than to scream at my mom for making this decision. 

I guess this make's sense though. Mom hasn't even met Callie yet, but I'm positive she wouldn't like her because she's a wolf. 

"Hey roomie." Nate smirks at me. I glare at him, anger rising through my body at the tone in his voice.

"What is he doing here?" I turn to my mom, trying as hard as I can to suppress my anger. 

"I asked him to stay here."

"Obviously," I rolled my eyes. "But why?"

She scoffs. "Snow, roll your eyes at me like that again and I'll pull them out. He's company, and promised to keep you safe." She gave me a look, as if to tell me to shut up. "Just in case.

I groaned out, "I know mom, I know. But why him?" 

"I'm still here, you know?" He chuckles. I glare at him, making him throw his hands up in defense. My mom looks at her wristwatch and her eyes widen.

"Oh dear, I'm going to miss my flight! I didn't notice how late it was." She's off of the bed in seconds, using her speed to go to her room and pack her bag then drop it off downstairs then return back into my room.

"So, you're going then?" I ask, feeling the ball in my throat beginning to grow. With her nod, I stand to my feet and hug her tightly. She kisses the side of my head, rubbing my back in soothing circles.