Chapter Eighteen

Last one for the day
Chapter Eighteen

I have no idea where I'm going, no idea how long I'd been running and absolutely no idea if Dan had still been following. I could hear Callie's breaths behind us as we ran, so I knew she had gotten away.

"This way." Nate waves his hand, and I follow him as he takes a left. Apparently, he knows where to go. 

Maybe we can hide inside his house?

"Where are we going?" I ask, keeping my eyes on the trees and checking behind me every now and then to make sure we aren't being followed.

"To the pack house." Nate reaches for my arm. "Maybe they'll help us out."

As if I weren't going fast enough, Nate tugs me along. In the distance I could see a faint light, and the closer we got my nose was infiltrated with the smell of wet dogs.

Upon approaching the house, I notice two guys standing outside with cans in both of their hands. They must've recognized Nate because instead of taking a defensive stance as I was expecting, they threw their heads up in acknowledgement. Callie shifted back into herself, and I handed her clothes to her.

"Are you sure this is a good idea?" Callie muttered from behind us, as we turned our heads for her to change in peace.

"It's worth a shot..." Nate sighs, his eyes dawning into mine. For once, he seemed genuinely worried.

This is stupid. Why would the wolves even think to help us? We're vampires!

"Ready?" Callie asks. Inside I heard many voices, from young teens to early adults. They all seemed to be having a good time, playing some sort of games and laughing.

This situation had the potential to go either ways. They could completely turn on us and hold us hostage until Dan gets here, and then we'd have a slaughter house situation on our hands.

Or, they could actually help us. That seemed completely unreasonable though, especially in this world. Vampires and Werewolves just do not mix. Even Callie betrayed me. Someone I thought I could trust.

"Yeah," I let out a breath. "I'm ready." Nate grabs my hand and gives it a gentle squeeze. His touch brought me comfort, making me almost forget that I was still supposed to be upset with him. Now, the high school drama was trivial compared to what was staring us in the face. It didn't matter anymore. Now, it's about our safety.

With a breath of his own, Nate pushes the doors open. Everything went silent. The games were paused, and the laughter was cut off seemingly right in the middle of it. I hear growls coming from around the room, and I see two familiar faces approach us. I can't quite put my finger on who, but I know I've seen them before. I squeeze Nates hand as he takes a step inside, me and Callie behind him.

"What are you doing here?" The one with the black hair says, the blonde one standing beside him defensively. 

They look so familiar, why can't I remember who they are?

"We need your help." Nate says, and the blonde one chuckles.

"Nice to see you again, babe. Surprised you're still with this lowlife." The one with black hair winks at me, completely disregarding Nate's words.

Brent! That's his brother!

"You've never needed our help before." The blonde responds to Nate instead.

Did I ever learn his name?

"I know, but we can't do this alone. You remember the stories mom and dad use to tell us about Sue and Dan Jackson?" Nate says. They nod. "And Dan would chase Sue and her daughter down forever? -"