Chapter Twenty Three

Chapter Twenty-Three

As my consciousness slowly returns, my thoughts begin to spiral. For a few minutes there, I didn't feel like myself. I didn't have control over anything I was doing- and for some reason, I can't remember how I ended up like this.

Taking in the view around me, my vision was still blinded by a red hue; and the smell of blood made my throat burn as if I hadn't eaten in weeks. 

That's it. It's over.

Dan's body laid in front of me.

I did it, I killed him.

A chill ran throughout my limbs, causing goosebumps to rise up my arms. The memories begin to flash through my brain, as if I'm watching Nate's body go lifeless in front of me all over again.

My father- He's dead. Along with Nate.

Their cold and lifeless bodies lay on the floor in front of my feet, both almost seeming as if they're asleep. My eyes avert to my hands, my fingers jittering as if I had drunk too much caffeine. My heart felt as if it could burst in my chest as the warm red liquid slowly made its way from my fingertips to my elbow. 

It's really over... He's gone. But look what it costed me.

Nate seemed so peaceful, as if he would wake up at any moment. This feeling was undeniably the worst thing I had ever experienced in all of my years. Every cell in my body was screaming that this is wrong, that this couldn't be happening. My knees ached from the concrete, though my legs felt as if they weighed a hundred pounds each. With the little bit of strength that I have left, I drag myself closer to Nate. I gently place my hands up under his head, feeling his soft strands of hair between my fingertips - the feeling making my heart tug even harder in my chest. Laying his head on my lap, I begin to run my hands through his hair, knowing this would be the last time I'm able to do so.

"Don't think like that Snow." His words play in my head. "We'll be fine."

My cheeks stain with tears with each thought that passes, my body beginning to quiver more and more. "You lied." I cry. "We weren't fine."

"Snow..." I flinch when I hear my mother's voice. I had almost forgotten about everyone else, and now that made me wonder how much they saw. 

Did they all see me shift? I had enough control to know not to attack them? 

"We need to go," my mother tries again, but I don't move- nor do I avert my attention from Nate. I felt as if I was in physical pain. My chest felt as if I had a million bricks weighing me down, as if I couldn't breathe. I didn't know what to do, or how to even begin to address this- how can I accept that the only man I wanted a future with is gone forever?

Forever.

"Only I." I choke, "Only I was fine." 

"Snow..." I hear my mother's voice again, causing rage to radiate throughout my body. 

How are we just supposed to go without him? How does she expect me to leave him like this?

"We can't leave him here!" I shout at her, finally whipping my head around to take in the view of the others around me. Callie's head was buried in Brent's chest, her shoulders quivering as muffled cries escaped her lips. Brent seemed as if he was trying everything to hold himself together, his only tell being the trail of tears escaping each eye. My mom was on her knees behind me, her hands folded in her lap as tears welded in her eyes. 

"We don't have another option..." She frowns. "His pack will be here any moment, I'm sure they can all feel that he died."

My ears begin to pick up the sound of quick footsteps approaching us, making me become even more angry. As the footsteps get closer, I recognized the scent emitting from that direction to be Layne, Nate's other brother. This makes me relax a bit, but I then realize how Nate's death had to be affecting his brothers and that alone makes me want to lose it. 

I turn my attention back to Nate, taking in his features for the last time. His forehead felt colder than usual as my lips approach his skin. I couldn't help but let out a whimper as I hugged his head to my chest.

"Goodbye."