Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I've come to the conclusion that I should apologize to Jack. The drama that it caused with Nate only caused more attention my way, so if I resolve the issue then maybe things will die down all around me. 

After the bell rings dismissing us to our passing period before lunch, I trail to my locker to rid myself of my textbooks. When the bell rings again, I close the door to reveal the devil himself leaning against my neighboring locker.

Guess that was easier than me going to look for him, but what if he tries his whole revenge thing right here? 

"Hi, Jack." I stare at him, watching his every move just in case he tries anything. He breathes out a sigh, his hand coming up to massage the back of his neck as his eyes trailed to our feet.

"Hi, Snow. I Uh- I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for this morning. I wasn't myself." Jack said softly, his whole demeanor from this morning completely gone and replaced with the Jack I first ran into.

This is better than I thought. I can play victim now, right? 

I guess high school did have it's fun moments. 

"You weren't yourself?" I ask, thinking back to every teenage movie I'd ever seen. "That's your excuse? You know, I was deeply hurt by your need for my attention. Oh, the agony it brought me." I place the back of my wrist on my forehead, closing my eyes to make it even more dramatic.

He rolled his eyes, a small smile creeping onto his lips. "You're joking around, aren't you?" 

I giggled a bit, dropping my arm back to my side and nodding my head. "Indeed, I am. You're fine for this morning. Just don't do that again, okay? Sorry about your arm, by the way."

"Don't be, I deserved it." He weakly smiles. My eyes study him, taking in how he's changed from how he acted the first time I met him until now. 

He's very odd. There's just something off about him, probably having to do with the whole "Dark Fiend" thing. I've never come across a creature like him before, let alone learned about them.

"So.. uh-" Jack starts, but is cut off when his body is slammed against the lockers by the one and only Nate.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Nate sneers, making Jack's eyes widen in terror. 

If he's a demon, why does he look so afraid?

"Dude let go! I'm not doing anything- I was apologizing!" Jack defends himself. 

Now I'm beginning to wonder if this apology was brought on by Nate this morning.

Nate's fists ball at his sides as his body begins to radiate with anger. He lifts his fist in the air, about to take a swing at Jack- but before he has a chance to, I grip his fist in my hand- stopping his movements. 

I'm a lot stronger than you. Keep it up and I'll have to prove it.

"Nate, stop!" I raise my voice at him. In annoyance, Nate attempts to pull his hand from my grasp. When he's unable to do so, he turns his glare to me.

"Let go." He lets out a low growl, his brown eyes darkening. 

"Not until you let him go, he didn't do anything!" I inform him, showing him that I'm not afraid of him. He stared at me for a long second before letting go of Jack, who tumbled to the floor and crawled away from Nate. By now, of course, the nosy high school students were gathered around us trying to witness the fight. 

It never fails, does it? The apology just made thing's worse. 

Don't you just love high school?