Chapter 25

I am woken up hearing my phone ringing. What time is it and why is someone calling me before I'm awake? I answer my phone half asleep and without checking the ID.

"Hello?" I answer.

"Katie, it's Alex" Alex says.

"Hey Al, what's up?" I ask as I wake myself up some more.

"Sorry, did I wake you up?" He asks.

"No no, I was already awake" I lie.

"Sure you were, that's why you sound like you just woke up" He says chuckling.

"Ok fine yeah you woke me up but it doesn't matter I had to wake up for school anyway" I say.

"Ok, um, there is a reason I called" He says.

"I'm listening" I say.

"Not over the phone, meet me in 6th form at 7:45, it's 6 now so you better get a move on" He says.

"Ok then, I'll see you then" I say trying not to sound confused.

"Ok, see you later, bye" He says.

"Yeah, bye" I say and hang up. I rub my eyes and have a quick shower, I get dressed and go downstairs to find mum in the kitchen and the kettle on.

"Morning" Mum says.

"Morning" I say and sit at the table.

"Want some breakfast?" She asks while filling two cups up with the kettle water.

"No thanks" I say, she stirs the water in the cups and hands one over to me. Tea. "Thank you" I say and take a sip. Hot!

"It's hot Katie" Mum then says.

"I gathered that" I say and put some cold water in it.

"Why you cooling it down? Are you in a hurry to drink it?" She asks.

"Yeah, Alex wants me to meet him at school earlier than usual to talk about something, I don't know what" I explain.

"Well, you better get going, it's already 7:20, just about" She says looking at the clock. I drink my tea and get my stuff and start walking. Soon I arrive at school, a few teachers around but no students yet, other than me and Alex.

"Katie, what are you doing here so early?" I hear from behind me. I turn around and see it's Mr Radford standing in the doorway to his room.

"Hi sir, just meeting a friend in 6th form" I say and continue walking. I get to 6th form and see Alex sitting with his back facing me. I drop my bag and sit next to him.

"Morning" He says.

"Morning, you wanted to see me about something?" I ask.

"Yeah, I did, I do" He says and then there is a silence as he looks at the floor.

"What is it?" I ask waiting.

"Why did you lie?" He asks not taking his eyes off the floor. Lie about what? What does he know?

"Lie about what?" I ask trying not to give anything away.

"You know what Katie" He says as he keeps staring at the floor.

"I do?" I ask confused.

"The other day, you said you left the club that night cause you wanted to be with your mum" He says looking at me.

"Yeah, I did" I say trying to cover my tracks.

"I saw you leave the club that night" He says staring at me.