Chapter 10

How am I gonna do this? Explain my life to my teacher, my husband, the father of my unborn baby? It's not something I tell the whole world, ok Alex knows everything except mine and Daniels situation but he's like a brother to me and he doesn't judge me, what if Daniel judges me, changes his views about me, at the moment he likes me but what if after I tell him everything he throws me back on the streets? Tells me to get rid of this baby? Ok I wouldn't mind either but I'd prefer not to be on the streets, it is freezing out there, and I wanna keep this baby.

"So, can you tell me what's gone on at home?" Daniel asks me.

"I don't exactly know where to start" I admit.

"Start wherever you want to, I just wanna understand what's been going on and why it's led you to being on the streets" Daniel says.

"Well, for the last 4 years I've been looking after my mum who is an alcoholic that literally never stops drinking unless she has work, which is only part-time" I start.

"Why have you been looking after her for 4 years, why is she an alcoholic?" He asks.

"My dad died nearly 4 years ago, ever since then she loves booze more than me, she is incapable of doing anything, just lounges around all day drinking and watching TV, when I'm not at school I'm most of the time at home doing all the house work" I explain.

"So what happened today for your mum to kick you out?" He asks.

"She told me she got me into an arranged marriage for 50K and I refused to go through with it, without telling her about already being married and pregnant, she told me I was going to do what I was told, that's when I stood up to her and told her that she didn't care about me, but cared about her booze more ever since dad died" I say letting a tear slide down my cheek.

"I think I can shed some more light to this arranged marriage you're talking about, I was told the same thing by my parents today, they didn't know about our marriage until they told me they were paying 50K to a Mrs Williams for her only daughter to marry me seeing as me and Emily broke up, I told them I was married to someone which is why me and Emily broke up and I decided not to have anything to do with them for a while, it seems I already married Mrs Williams' daughter, you" He explains.

"Parents eh? Think they're thinking about their kids, in this case, us, but really thinking about themselves" I say.

"And what happened to your nose?" He asks.

"Well, after I stood up to my mum, I guess she didn't like what I had to say so she punched me, making me fall to the floor" I tell him.

"She punched you? What kind of mother does that?" He asks rhetorically.

"A drunk one, and she had never hit me before then" I say.

"Jeez Katie, what if she had punched your stomach? You'd have ended up in hospital, she might have killed our baby, god she's lucky she only punched your face, not that she should even have punched your face" He says in slight anger.

"It's ok, she didn't, and if she had tried to I'd have more than likely put my hands in the way" I say trying to assure him. He takes a deep breath and relaxes again.

"I swear if she had done that though and killed our baby, I'd never have forgiven her" He says.

"Like I said, it's ok because she didn't" I say.

"Anyway, if you don't mind me asking, how did your dad die? Was he a police officer?" He asks causing me to burst into tears. He pulls me in for a hug and hugs me tightly, which is a bit weird as we're still sat on the sofa. "You can tell me Katie, I'm not judging you by anything you say, I don't think any less of you" He says still hugging me.