Chapter 1

I've been sat in bed since 4 this morning, my mum got drunk again and when she gets drunk she doesn't sleep it off, she does the opposite, she makes a lot of noise, so much noise I'm surprised the neighbours haven't complained or called the cops, if they called the cops she would most likely be arrested. I don't know why she waits until 4am to make a racket, I suppose she does sleep a little bit just not enough to sober up.

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

That's my 6:30am alarm for school, thank god it's Friday, two days of no studying, but on the other side I have to put up with mum being drunk, Friday nights are the worse, Sunday is probably the best day to be around her. Time to get up and ready, I leave at 7:30 to walk to school. I take a quick 15 minute shower and get dressed, I go downstairs for something to eat.

"Katie, is that you?" Mum calls from the sofa.

"Yeah mum it's me, I'm just getting something to eat and then I'll be off to school" I tell her.

"You need to come back ASAP after, I need you to go shopping, I'm running out of booze and we need more food" She tells me. Great! Nothing new there then, she sends me shopping every Friday after school, she gives me £40 to get some frozen meals for us to last the week which are £1 and a box of cereal and some squash, that's usually roughly £20, the other £20 goes on her alcohol, in the week she'll send me to get gas and electric.

"Ok, I'll be as quick as I can" I assure her. I'll be back to go shopping and clean the house.

"Hey, get me some more alcohol? I'm running out" Mum says, I go to the fridge and get her what she wants, I can't exactly not let her have it, you don't wanna see her pissed off side. I give her the drink and eat my cereal. Once I'm ready to go I say goodbye and start my walk to school which takes me about half hour or so. When I reach the school gates I hear my name being called.

"Katie! Katie wait up" The voice says, I stop and look behind me to see Alex trying to catch up with me.

"Hey Al" I say when he gets to me.

"You ok?" He asks as we walk through the gates.

"I'm fine, just really tired, thank god it's Friday right?" I say seeking his approval.

"Exactly, why you 'really tired'?" He asks. He's always been my closest friend, like an older bro sorta friend.

"I've been awake since 4am when I could have done with the sleep" I tell him. As we walk through the school doors.

"Your mum drink too much again?" He asks, he knows about my mum, I tell him pretty much everything, like I said it's a brother and sister relationship.

"Yep, and I gotta go shopping after school so I can't hang around, I said I'd be back ASAP" I say as we got down some stairs.

"I don't know why you don't just tell her to stop drinking, you shouldn't have to live like this, she should be looking after you, not you looking after her" He tells me. As you can probably guess now, he doesn't like my situation.

"I know, but it's not as easy as just telling her to stop drinking, you don't wanna see her pissed off, trust me" I say as we walk through some double doors.

"Ok then, I can't make you do anything, anyway let's go find James and Chlo" He says. James and Chlo hang out in the 6th form area whenever they can.

"How's things at home for you?" I ask as we head to the 6th form area.

"You know, Jess is moving into her new place with her boyfriend, Shannon is trying to get dad to let her move into Jess' room but he's reluctant cause she's a mess maker and Gemma is still at Uni" He says, they are his 3 sisters, Jess is 22, Shannon is 10 and Gemma is 20, their mum left them when Shannon was 4 years old, they haven't seen or spoken to her since, and I don't think they'll ever want to.