Chapter Ten:

The Other Side

CHAPTER TEN:

We ended up going casual as agreed on pulling up next to an old diner of mine called 'The Old Mill' where my grandfather and I would always go when he was in town. I parked the car as close to the restaurant as I could; almost right next to the door, which was lucky since the air was a bit off today. I stepped out of my car and was about to head to get Cam's when I heard a slam of the doors and smelt a whiff of perfume. Her ankle boots tapped against the broken stone parking making her way towards me.

"Is this an actually mill?" She asked looking up at it, brightly looking towards it huge wings. I nodded stuffing my hands into my pockets trying to keep the car warmth within them. The wooden panels had been refurnished a while back and the owner had this idea to put twinkling lights on it to grab attention. It definitely did just that since it could be seen from the motorway towards here. At the back there had been an additional building or so added for extra space since the business had really grown to make millions a year. "Pretty sweet." Cam muttered softly folding her arms across her chest. The doors opened as a group of older people came out laughing and scent of raw steak hit me making my mouth water instantly.

"Come on." I smiled nodding towards the entrance. Cam gave me a steady look before taking the lead. Walking into The Old Mill I could definitely see some changes since the last time I was here and that must have been 8 months ago minimum.

"Good evening and welcome to The Old Mill. Table for 2?" A waiter asked from the little counter, she had a note pad, phone and a bunch of menus sat along with colouring pages for kids. I looked at Cam and nodded. "Table for 2." She smiled pulling out the two menus she hand placed her fingers upon. "The lover booth?" She asked then looking into Cam's eyes. That shock me a little. First of all, I didn't even know there was such a thing as 'the lover's booth' and secondly Cam in no way looked like my girlfriend we were standing at least a truck distance away from each other. "Erm..." Then again, this might help. "Sure why not." I smiled putting my hand on the small of Cams back on her pixie top. Cams eyes met mine and I saw the soft rage in them but I smiled anyway trying to make her forget. The lady led us through the crowded restaurant passing the salad bar and into a very remote area. There weren't many people there 2 tables for 2 were only occupied. 

"Have you been here before?" She asked with a sweet smile her blond hair in a plait was starting to come out of its rubber band hold.

"Yes." I smiled as Cam took her seat by the table assigned for us. The girl smiled at me as I took my seat.

"Perfect, your waiter will be with you shortly, please help yourself with the salad booth." And with that a quirk smile she left us both looking anywhere but at ourselves. I glanced down at the ruby red menu, which was lit up by dimmer lights above our head. This all gave The Old Mill a very old and authentic look.

"This isn't a date." I suddenly heard making me look up at Cam to only now notice her hair was too in fact in a messy plait. How did I not realize that earlier? "I thought I made it clear that this is just...you repaying me." She said wincing slightly.

"I never meant to imply this was a date. I've never been to the 'lovers booth' here before I just wanted a little knowledge." I simply shrugged taking her lit up blue eyes from the ceiling lights into my vision. She wasn't like anyone else and I had to use that to my advantage. "So..." I dragged now pulling up the menu turning the page, "What did Gabe want?" I asked not wanting to meet her eyes trying to quickly think of something to cover up the fact that he asked her out.

"I don't know, he said he'll tell me tomorrow." Cam sighed turning the page on her menu too. "He's a really nice guy." She seemed to be nodding - I didn't want to look up since now my face of joy knew I had a couple of hours to woo this girl into my arms and away from Gabe's. "I don't think I would mind if he did decide to ask me out." And my breathing stopped; blood run up my veins quicker, my mind exploded.