Chapter 13:

The Other Side

CHAPTER 13

Cam:

Children like him infuriated me to unknow kinds of fury. He thought he could just rule the world with one stupid childish smirk; that he could end world hunger with a wink; as if he could make us all bow down and kiss his big ass ego like he was king. Outraged I fell onto my bed. Because of Dylan Gold I was stuck in the horrible frosty weather of England refusing to take his blazer. When Gabe finally built up the courage to hand me his I declined - I didn't need to be nannied, I could handle myself.

Now I realised that was a bad move. My arms were frosted and had goose bumps all over it. Hair stood on end and my skin prickled at the alarming hear of my room. The school uniforms done nothing to prevent us from the hypothermia half the school probably got and to be on the safe side the principle wouldn't even let us warm up in our cars. Not that it would make any difference to me since my key was in my bag inside the school.

I could just see the look of Harold's face; I was hoping it would match the look of Mel's when she finally reached our car. She shrieked in horror and covered her eyes almost wailing like an infant. Disappointing Harold twice with the same mistake may not be a smart move and I may be grounded even more now - but Dylan Gold was going to pay for this and all my wasted life in this rotting hell hole of a mansion.

The evening crept up quickly on us. I didn't bother going down until I was called down from diner by my mother. As I walked down the steps I was pushed aside by no one other than Mel who almost tripped over poor Jaden. Someone was in a rush to eat. That's when I noticed Ben standing in the hall in a suit with flowers handing them to my mum. "It's a delight to have you over for diner Ben." I heard Harold's voice from inside the kitchen. Looks like he hasn't seen the car quiet yet. Tomorrow will consist of a nice morning.

I walked into the kitchen not too self conscious about my sweat. The waiter boy smiled at me making me smile back and strangely look away from his glistening green gaze. I took my seat in front of Mel who was occupied with making sure Ben looked great. "Cam?" He asked confused as if he stepped into the wrong household. Awkwardly I waved at him from across the table through a massive glass vase which Mel probably placed herself. "I didn't know you guys were friends."
"Ignore her." Mel quickly dismissed me.

Jaden rushed in to save what wasn't to save as he grabbed a bun from the basket. "Friends? We're step siblings." I glared at the imbecile by my side. I loved Jaden, I did, but now I could kill him with my butter knife. Shocked, Ben opened his mouth to say something but all too quickly my mum took her space and food was served.

"So, Ben." My mum begun when she took a sip of red wine. "I'm new to this whole 'meet the parents' ritual. Cammie only really had male friends to be fair." She smiled obviously just being the embarrassing mum she was. Ben looked at me with a coked eyebrow. "What are you planning on doing after you finish sixth form?" She asked the most common question there was.
"University. Somewhere local maybe - I want to study engines." He nodded swallowing seasons potatoes.
"Ah, an engineer." Harold nodded approvingly as Ben nodded. "Quiet a highly paid job I must say. Does it run in the family?"
"It did." Ben nodded, "my father passed away a few years ago and we were forced to sell his business." A moment of sadness flashed across his eyes before he regained his manhood. "But I'm determined to get up and running again."

My mother nodded, "and you're an only child?"
"No," he shook his head. "I have a younger sister."
"Oh how lovely." I rolled my eyes sneaking my comment. I received a stare from Mel who twitched her knife in her hand.
"She is." Ben agreed again, "she's turning 8 soon - I guess she won't last being lovely forever."
"And you live with your mum?" My mother asked a little concerned for the boy; you could see it on her face. Ben nodded not bothering to go into detail this time.
"How old are you-"
"You guys are asking boring questions." I rolled my eyes stopping Harold from speaking. "I have a question for you Ben." I cleared my throat before standing to drag the massive vase across the table so I could see the boy. Just then the waiter walked in holding a bottle of champagne. He quickly placed it down and lifted the large vase slowly not to tip it over. "Thank you." I smiled at him as he secretly winked my way.