Chapter Seven:

The Other Side

CHAPTER SEVEN:

I walked into psychology that day with a completely different perspective. I didn’t know if that had to do with the talk I had with Dylan or if it was to do with the fact that we were starting a new topic this week, but I walked in and didn’t fall asleep. For the second time that year I opened my book and started to take notes as the teacher spoke. At times she would just stop and stare at me as if I had done something wrong but I knew it was because she was so shocked to see me actually doing some work, which was in fact upsetting to know that teachers thought I was slack. Clearly I wasn’t. I found out who Riley was in that lesson too. A cute looking mixed raced guy who sat at the front seeming bored with his life already. He was as dead as I was that morning (which a little coffee fixed within an instant.). The lesson flew by quickly announcing the end with a loud ring of a bell over our heads. I scurried off to lunch meeting London in the hallway. With a smile she greeted me and walked to the table hooking her arm around my neck. “So, what do you say to a party tonight newbie? The Oliver hut is getting crashed. His parents are out of town and apparently his pesky neighbor is too. Perfect night to get crazy. ”She smiled sitting by Leon pecking his lips carefully and running a hand through his neatly combed back hair.

I hissed through my teeth and in an instant London was giving me an ‘uh oh’ look as I shook my head. “I wish I could, I would be there in an instant, but I’m still grounded.”

“Still?” London moaned placing her chin in her cupped hand. I nodded feeling so guilty all of a sudden. “Yeah, and I don’t know how long that’s going to last.” I shrugged seeing Jade walk up to me with Josh walking behind her with a huge smile.

“What we talking about?” He asked sitting by me with Gabe following sitting on the other side of him. Jade smiled greeting us and sitting by my free side. London quickly explained to them the situation as Holly appeared with Jenna sitting at the head. The table was finally complete and loud again. The gang tried to talk me into sneaking out but I was sure Mel told her dad something about my little sneak out yesterday so they were probably going to make me sit by their feet all night. I blew off any idea they had.

“Come on Cam, just climb out of your window or something, you’ve got to come!” Holly whined. Just as I was about to say no again there was a voice by my side. “Sup’.” I looked to see Dylan smiling, his tie loosely undone and his shirt un-tucked. He looked really scruffy and I could smell something odd on him.

“Came to get more material for your book?” I asked raising my eyebrow at him making him shake his head and then look at Leon. “Nah, I actually came to talk to you.” He said nodding at him. Leon pointed to himself confused. “Yes weirdo, you.”

I hit Dylan’s leg softly, “Be nice, ass.” My statement made him roll his eyes beginning to walk off with Leon following him, his hand too in his pocket. He suddenly looked so much more than a jock than you would think. I watched as Dylan pulled out a wad of cash passing it to him. I wasn’t the only one watching, we all were.

“He’s grounded.” Jenna laughed watching Dylan scratch the back of his neck.

“How do you know?” I asked leaning against the table to hear her out.

“If one of the guys gets grounded, the one grounded pays a huge lump sum of money and because they trust Leon the most they give him the money to look after it.” London explained screwing on a cap on her bottle.

Jenna nodded in agreement. “Then they give him a dare. If he doesn’t complete the dare within the time they are grounded no matter how long, he gives up the money forever and it’s shared out between the football members…well the basketball players in Gold’s case. He plays with them.”