Chapter 25: Carter Christmas

December 25th, 2016
Christmas Day
Oakland, CA

"Babe wake up! Wake up! It's Christmas! Ugh, you keeping Santa waiting!" I started cracking up laughing as I heard Breslin outside my door. I rolled to look at the time and it was 6:00am. Jesus!

"Get used to it girl. Your boyfriend and Lovie always wake up at the ass crack of dawn, and drags everybody else up, Christmas is a whole day Bres, we could of done this at 9", Brina said also from the doorway. He just rolled his eyes.

"You know I missed y'all, but boy oh boy I be glad when y'all go back home, too early for this shit. Thought y'all were doing with this when y'all were 13". I heard Mr. Law from door the hall and I see more and more where Breslin gets his sense of humor from.

"Get up Kenz! I'm ready to open my gifts". Ok, he needs to calm down. He picked me up out of bed to kiss me. "Merry Christmas baby". He kissed me again. "And happy one month anniversary". Holy fuck, I forgot our first anniversary. I mean thank God I got him multiple gifts, but awww one month official.

I'm cheesing from ear to ear as I tell him, "Merry Christmas and happy anniversary Boo Boo Bear". He rolled him eyes and let me go while I laughed and went to the bathroom to do the morning regular.

I finally made my way downstairs to the living room where I was joined soon after by the rest of the Carters. I was sleepily laying my head on Breslin's shoulder while we waited on his parents. Ms. Syd and Mr. Law were really the definition of true love.

"Alright, who want to go first?" Ms. Syd said.

"Me! Daddy, Momma. Zerin and I -" Lori then jumped up off the couch and ran off in the direction of the bathroom. Everyone looked to Zerin who rubbed the back of his neck and stood up to head in the direction of his wife, he continued her sentence though. "-we're uh pregnant. We're giving you your first grandchild!" He then ran off in the direction of Lori who I assume was throwing up.

The room broke out in surprise and happiness as I was thankful to be apart of such a big moment. Breslin was going be an Uncle. He looked so happy, Mr. Law and him were already talking about hoping it was a boy too, just terrible. "I'm going to be a Granny". Ms. Syd was cheesing from ear to ear.

"Ugh, she's first to do everything!" Lovie said in a joking manner.

"Girl, if you don't shut up!" Brina pushed her and I laughed through it all. Lori and Zerin returned, hugs were given, and more gifts were given. The siblings exchanged gifts as well as the parents gave their kids gifts. I took this time to check my phone and not even a text message from my Mom. Oh well, I guess, I mean it hurts, but it's whatever.

"Babe, you want me to go get the bags from upstairs?" Breslin asked me, I nodded yes as his family looked confused. I had got them each small last minute gifts last week, even Duke. Thank God for online shopping. Everyone was really surprised and then I was bombarded with thank yous and hugs.

"Oh yea, you can stay now". Brina said as she smelled the Bath and Body Works candles I got her.

Lori threw some tissue paper at her, "Just rude". Ms. Syd and Mr. Law even surprised me and got me a VS Pink windbreaker along with the other girls. I was really thankful that they even thought of me.

"Well damn, can I give my girl her gifts now?" Breslin was always so jealous and wanting of my time, I loved it. Ms. Syd slapped the back of his head and gave him yet another warning about cussing in her house. "Alright Ma da- dang". We all laughed.

I was sitting with anticipation as Breslin pulled out four bags from the hallway closet. He sat the bags before me in a line and told me to open them left to right and the bags went from big to small. He was sitting next to me watching the whole time, so was his family. I felt nervous as the spotlight was on me.