Chapter 15: Keep the Family Close

A couple of days later....
Thanksgiving 2016
Inglewood, CA

Mom 🙄: I can't believe you missed your plane! It's impossible to get another ticket Mackenzie! This is so irresponsible, you need to come back home!

I didn't miss my flight and I didn't need to go back home. But I was too chickenshit to tell my Mom I was staying in California. I dreaded my family and it wasn't the same without my Dad there to make fun of the bougie bunch. Damn, this is my first big holiday without him. I made it through Halloween. My Mom didn't even mention him, it's like she doesn't even miss her husband.

I was going to Sparkle's Grandma house in Inglewood with her, Dom, and Breslin. Ty and Ant were joining us later after they came from her peoples' house. Breslin persuaded me to stay here, for several reasons, mainly selfish ones, but I didn't mind.

A lot can change overnight in so many ways. My YouTube channel was soaring off those two videos with 5,000+ views and +500 subscribers in only two days. That was somewhat huge. People were already asking me to make more videos about myself, natural hair, makeup, and a plethora of requests. I was happy doing something for myself that I loved. Not ballet, not violin practice, and definitely not etiquette class. The only reason I played basketball in addition to cheer was my Dad. Man, I wish he was still here.

Anyway, my boss called me in the office this past Monday, and I was promoted to shift leader. So, I had more responsibility, but the pay increase was worth it. I was a working, independent, black college-educated woman even if it had only been two months. My Dad would have been proud. Man, why do I keep thinking about him? Ms. Clark said this would happen....

And finally, things were definitely changing with Breslin. Monday started out Thanksgiving break when he "ate" well and here it was Thursday, Thanksgiving Day and I swear Breslin and I had been on eight "firsts", is what he called them. My first time eating Korean BBQ, going to a Farmer's Market, a touch tank aquarium, and just random things he'd asked had I done, experienced or tried.

We even went to Skyzone, which was my first time being in an indoor trampoline center for fun. Bres tried to show off and do a double back like me, and that was the first time I went to urgent care where I wasn't the injured one. Just a sprained wrist though from landing wrong.

I appreciated the fact he wasn't pressuring me to do anything since that night, but I was curious and kind of needy for more. Breslin was such a teaser though, but he did say this, "I'm not going to do anything else, until you tell me. You told me how you felt about being the only girl to me so, you can clearly tell me what you want Kenz".

We still kissed, but it was like his hands only cupped my face or hugged me. The ass-grabbing stopped and so did the body groping. Did I turn him off all of a sudden? Stop it Mackenzie, y'all practically just spent every free minute together and it was blatantly public. We took even more pictures together, on and off Snapchat with obvious captions.

breslininc: (Picture of me cooking in HIS kitchen) My personal chef 😍
breslininc: (Picture of us watching the Warriors game) She going be a Warrior fan soon yee!
breslininc: (Picture of me waiting in his hospital room) Kenz 🔑

Whereas, my captions were more subtle as always.
mackinhangin: (Picture of our plates) For two....
mackinhangin: (Picture of our socks while watching the game) Warriors x Hawks, let's go ATL
mackinhangin: (Picture of myself smiling) When 13 years of cheer comes in handy

Ok, maybe my pictures were more subtle. I was afraid to show Breslin off, but I still wanted to keep us private. It was too good to be true. I like the fact we're dating however.