Chapter Thirteen

New chapter! hope you enjoy :)

115 votes for chapter 14

http://ask.fm/rubyhannah

-----------------------------------

"Wake up," I poked Luke. He stirred and turned to face me, slowly opening his eyes.
"It's almost 11," I smiled as he rubbed his eyes.

"How are you feeling?" he asked raspily.

"I'm alright, getting there." I said with a still scratchy voice. Luke grinned and dug his face into his pillow as he hugged me around the waist. I titled my face back in case he tried anything. I examined his prominent features snd bit my lip. Luke closed his tired eyes as I softly scrunched his growing curls beneath my fingers. I loved it like this.
"Why do you straighten your hair?" I whispered. Luke shrugged. "Leave it like this," I told him. We layed together for a few moments, genuinely not wanting to get up.

"Come on, up we get!" I said too enthusiastically jumping up. Luke groaned and tried to bury himself into the blankets. I stripped the duvet off and climbed over him.
"Let's go Luke," I said softer than before.

"Where?" he challenged. I thought briefly

"To yours," I smiled and jumped off the bed. "I'm getting dressed and we're going." I said still not feeling the best but I had to get out. When I was ready, Luke was up and waiting.

"You take forever." he smirked.

"Shush," I smiled and locked up behind us.

"I'M HOME" called Luke as we walked into his house. No-one answered. They must've been out. Luke and I walked into the kitchen and winced.

"What is that smell?!" I exclaimed pinching my nose.

'"That is grotty." Luke almost choked. I went and opened the sliding doors and windows to air out the room."What the flying fuck," Luke spoke. I then realised what he meant as I looked at the pile of dishes and pans unwashed next to the sink.

"Yuck!" I remarked walking over to the mess.

"Bloody little pigs." Luke shook his head. I opened the middle drawer that I now knew where the cleaning products were, and took out two pairs of rubber gloves. I threw Luke a pair.

"We can't leave the house like this, it's gross." I told him. Soon enough we were scrubbing dishes, trying not to gag, making small conversation. After wiping the kitchen down with disinfectant, I sat on the bench next to Luke who placed the last dish on the drying rack. We stripped off our gloves and put them on the bench.

'What now," Luke said as he leant against my legs. Placing his hands on my knees, he traced his hands further up my legs and back down. I leant forward slightly so I could reach Luke's chest, pushing him away.

"You know what?" he smirked, trying to keep his hands on my legs.

"What?" I disguised my smile.

"I'm never gonna leave. No matter how hard you push me away." Luke spoke. I didn't get why he loved me. There were girls chasing him wherever he went yet he still believed we would somehow work things out. He was always so persistant.

"But why?" I wanted to know.

"Because Rubes, you're the only one that can make me truly happy." he said in just about a whisper. I pursed my trembling lips and wrapped my arms around Luke's neck tightly. I never wanted this moment to end. I never wanted to let go.

----------------------------------------------

LUKE'S POV

I opened the front door after being out all day. I was so tired. I heard squeals and laughter coming from the lounge room and from the sounds of things- it wasn't the boys. Ruby must've been here. Knowing that I'd see her made me smile, things between us were really going in the right direction. I put the food shopping on the bench and poked my head around the corner. Jai and Ruby were playfighting on the couch. Except to me it didn't look friendly. It looked more than friendly. My eyebrows furrowed together as I watched on worriedly.
"Jai!" she squealed, scruffing his hair. They were too close, I didn't like it. I stepped in the room catiously, not that they noticed until I cleared my throat.

"Luke," Ruby said with a slight smile, shifting away from Jai.

"What's going on?" I asked confused.

"Nothing," she stated cooly. My body siezed up.

"Seriously, what was that?" I said with a bit more force.

"Luke, drop it. It's nothing." Jai sounded annoyed. Ruby looked startled.

"Maybe I'll come back tomorrow." she said. I kept my eyes on my brother who I was less than impressed with.

"Cya," Jai said getting up to give her a hug. Ruby hugged him then walked to me.

"Bye Luke," she said giving me a hug. I kept my arms by my side. Ruby looked shocked and confused, almost hurt as she walked away awkwardly out of the house. Both Jai and I watched as she left. Just as he was about to leave the room I spoke up.

"Don't touch her."

Jai stared daggers at me. "Get a grip Luke." he said before leaving.

------------------------- THE NEXT DAY ---------------------------

"Hello!" Ruby called as she entered the house. I didn't reply. I was still pissed about yesterday. She walked into the room and slightly jumped.
"I didn't think you were home, I called out hello." she spoke.

"I heard you." I said, staring at her as she came closer. Ruby stood in front of me, waiting for me to talk.
"Jai's upstairs." I told her without a second glance.

"I'm actually here to see you."

"That's a surprise." I muttered.

"What is your problem." she looked at me, stepping closer.

"You and Jai are my problem." Ruby's mouth opened with shock.

"Do you seriously think I would go for your brother?" I could see the hurt fill her eyes. I didn't answer.
"You think I'm that kind of person? That low?"

"I seriously don't know right now Ruby. I'm lost." My tone was enough to set her off.

"You're such a dick!" she yelled, pushing me softly in the chest.

"You're so frustrating!" I yelled back at her, shoving Ruby's shoulder.

"Don't shove me Luke!" she told me, her voice still raised.

"Let me have a conversation with you!" I pleaded continuing out screaming match.

"Okay. For the thousandth time. I don't love you and you don't love me." She attempted to convince herself. The fact that it was entirely wrong angered me.

"Don't fucking tell me how to feel, especially when you know it's not the case." I yelled. We stood only inches apart, red with anger. Ruby groaned loudly in frustration.

"I can't do this right now." she said about to walk away. Exactly what I feared.

"No." I stopped her, taking her wrist. "Don't do this. Don't let me do this." I saw the fury in her eyes melt away as she realized what had happened. She wrapped her arms around my neck and held me in a tight embrace as my arms snaked around her waist.
"You have no idea how much I need you right now." I whispered as Ruby softly stroked the back of my head. She kept her voice at a minimum as she spoke.

"I'm sorry I can't give you what you want."

--------------------------------------

RUBYS POV

Paige, the boys and I were at one of the most talked about clubs in LA and I should've been ecstatic, yet I was sitting in the corner watching Luke flirt with an insanely gorgeous girl. I'd let him get the better of me again. The other day had got me thinking, it was always easier when we were together. Why couldn't I listen to my heart and not my head. I looked over at the lean blonde that was throwing herself over Luke and I consumed more alcohol. I would need it. My pounding headache was only worsening and I decided to step outside for a bit, get some fresh air. I walked away from the line of people waiting to enter and sat on the footpath, taking in deep breaths.

"Ruby?" it was Luke. The very last but still the very first person I wanted to see right now.

"Hey Luke," I replied flatly.

"Why are you out here by yourself? the party's in there." he asked sitting beside me on the cool pavement.

"Oh I just need some fresh air." I told him.

"Are you mad?" he asked.

"No"

"Jealous?" he suggested cautiously. I couldn't hide the fact that I was.

"I'm sorry okay. I'm a terrible person." I admitted, collapsing into tears. I hated falling apart in front of Luke. I felt so vulnerable.

"C'mon Rubes," He said comfortingly, putting his arm around my shoulders. "You're anything but terrible."

"I just want to be us again. But I know that can't happen. I don't want to hurt like this forever." I cried still as Luke soothed me. From his lack of reply I assumed he didn't know what to say. I needed to clear things up.
"Just do me one favour." I pulled myself together in order to sound serious.

"Of course." Luke kissed the top of my head. He wasn't making any of this easier.

"Do whatever you want. Have fun. Flirt, kiss, whatever. Just please don't do it in front of me if you can avoid it."

Luke looked at me as though I was from another world before craning his neck in and pressing his lips to mine. We moved in sync and all I could think of was how wrong this was right now yet it felt so perfect.

"Know what really sucks?" Luke whispered, his lips just above mine. I waited for him to keep speaking.
"We can never be fully satisfied without each other." it was the complete truth. My head was spinning now. Things had to be worked out- when I could think clearly.

"I think I'm gonna go home." I wriggled out of Luke's arms and stood up.

"Want me to come?" He asked

"I need some time alone. To think." I spoke slowly trying to make sense of everything by rubbing my head. Luke led the to a taxi and opened the door for me.

"Make sure you text me when you get home." he said softly as he leant down and put my seatbelt on for me. Something I was capable of doing myself but was a sweet gesture.

"Will do." I told him.

"And don't torture yourself. Do what makes you happy." He smiled charmingly before tenderly kissing me on the mouth, his lips lingering longer than they should have. Luke closed the door and stepped back, watching as I left. I was torn. Between what was right- and what felt right.