Chapter Three

Hi! Hope you enjoy <3

50 votes for Chapter 4

http://ask.fm/rubyhannah

-------------------------------------------------

A whole month had passed and Luke was still acting a bit vague at times. Since he wouldn't tell me anything, I had assumed he was alright about whatever it was. I got up for work and got ready. It was bucketing down with rain outside, so I got rugged up in my winter gear. Luke had already left which I was kind of glad about, I needed a clear head before work- not a jumbled, frustrated head full of all the problems I could possibly think up of- the reason for Luke's odd behaviour. Besides, Kaity was back from Sydney and I got to talk to her for the first time in ages.

I looked at my watch, I was pretty much running on time. I grabbed my takeaway coffee and headed out the door. Usually Luke left a cute note for me on the bench before he left for work, but now there was absolutely nothing. I sighed away my frustration and locked up the house. I walked towards my car, grabbing my umbrella from outside and putting it in the back. For the umteenth time, it started raining again. I squeaked a little as I ran to the front seat. I was about to reverse but stopped as I saw my neighbour laughing in my direction. Jake waved and snickered and I waved back at him. I had met him when we first moved in and had seen him out and bout a bit, he lived with his mate in the unit next to us. Luke still hadn't introduced himself to Jake nor the other way around. Again, I brushed off my thoughts and drove to work.

I pulled into the carpark and noticed Kaitlyn's car there. Thank god. I was there a bit early which meant I could take a break to catch my breath before work which would no doubt be hectic. I walked upstairs and dumped everything on my desk. I looked around and spotted Kaity sorting through a rack near the far window in the corner.

"Kaitlyn!" I called. She didn't turn around or respond. I frowned slightly and paced over to her to help with the clothes. As I reached her she turned around to face me. Tears streamed down her face along with her makeup. I was shocked, it was the first time I had ever seen her cry, I ran over and engulfed her into a huge hug as she started to cry again.

"Kaitlyn, what is it," I asked as she cried into my shoulder.

"Beau. He broke up with me this morning." she cried heavily. I froze in shock. This couldn't be happening. They were the happiest, most outgoing, funniest couple. They couldn't break up.

"Oh, Kaity don't cry. I'm sure he has his reasons." I felt her head nod.

"I know why he did it. I guess it's just something neither of us can control." she said as I let go of her, wiping under her eyes. I didn't know whether to ask or not. My brain said no but my mouth had other plans.

"Can I know what happened?" I said hesitantly.

"I can't say." she said. I was shocked. We never kept anything from each other.

"Ok?"

"I promise, you will know soon." she told me. Her words stuck with me all day. Know soon? I'm not that patient. The rest of work was pretty depressing. I couldn't say anything to make things okay for Kaitlyn and I hated knowing that my bestfriend was upset.

I got home that day, still in a fluster from what Kaitlyn had told me. Luke was in the kitchen making dinner. I smiled at his kind gesture.

"Whats cooking?" I smiled as I kicked off my work heels. Luke turned around in suprise.

"Stir fry," He smirked. It souded and smelt good. I was so hungry. I peeped around the corner to find the table set with candles and a few drinks.

"Luke! This is all so sweet," I beamed as I moved closer to him.

"I'm sorry I've been a jerk these past weeks, I've had so much on my mind but I feel really bad about acting like a right ass. I don't want to put a downer on our relationship, I just want to have fun like we always do," he explained.

"You're not puting a dower on anything!" I told him as I felt his large arms wrap around my body. Maybe it was a bit of a lie, but I would do anything to make things return back to normal again.
Luke craned his neck down and kissed the top of my head. I closed my eyes, enjoying the blissful moment. We stayed like that for a while until he remembered the cooking, quickly turning it off. I helped Luke dish up then joined him at the table. We spoke about our day, then I remembered the news.

"Did you hear?" I asked hoping he would know what I was talking about.

"About Beau and Kaity?" he asked. I nodded.

"Yeh" Luke sighed.

"Do you know why?" I said out of curiosity. It was Luke's turn to nod but he didn't continue to speak.
"Can you tell me why?" I tried to force more for an answer.

"No."

"Why not?" I felt hurt that Luke wouldn't share these sorts of things with me.

"Because. I said no."

"Luke." I was getting frustrated.

"Ruby! I can't tell you!" he said loudly.

"Tell me why not at least."

"No."

"Okay seriously, what is wrong with you Luke! This has been going on for too long, why won't you communicate with me?!" I put my cutlery down and directed my forceful words to Luke at the other end of the table.

"Why are you yelling?!" Luke yelled himself.
"Because you aren't talking to me about anything. I know something is wrong and you're keeping it locked up and I just don't understand! It has been a month Luke, a whole fucking month and you have barely talked to me!" I retaliated.

"Stop nagging at me Rubes! I don't have to tell you everything." He boomed, standing up and taking his plate to the kitchen.
Hurt washed over me like a tsunami. I pushed my plate away and rested my elbows on the table, head in my hands, breaking into uncontrollable tears. I hated this feeling. Being isolated from Luke.

"I feel so alone," I cried into my palms. Luke must've felt bad, I heard a guilty sigh and his footsteps come towards me. Moments later his arms stood me up from my chair and my body leant into his. Although his arms were wrapped tightly around me, yet I didn't feel comforted.

"Ruby," he spoke softly. A clear contarast to the way he was speaking to me before. "Please don't cry love, I can't stand seeing you cry. It hurts my heart." he spoke, swiping my hair behind my shoulders and holding me closer as if he was scared I'd disappear. My tears smeared his shirt but Luke didn't care. I stepped back ad took a deep breath to compose myself.

"I don't know what's happened, but you've changed lately." I spoke, crossing my arms. As Luke went to speak I interupted him. "I feel like I don't know you anymore."

"So much is going on at the moment my brain is so jumbled, I can't seem to figure anything out." Luke said sadly.

"Then let me help," I sympathised, winding my arms around Luke's neck hoping for any kind of communication with my boyfriend. For a moment I thought he would suprise me. Tell me his troubles and doubts  but before I could even grasp the flicker of the old Luke, his stubborn mouth opened again.

"I can't." he stated firmly. My arms fell from his body.

"So you won't let me help you but you can't help yourself?" I questioned. Luke nodded once again. I looked at him in almost disgust.

"Get your act together." I said coldy before leaving the room. I took the advanage of my time alone to have a shower.

Stupidly thinking that Luke will perhaps come upstairs to work things out, I was disappointed as I heard the TV downstairs. I rolled my eyes and went to our room, collecting my pillows and a spare duvet, transporting it to the couch in our extra room. I shut the door with more force than I intended and layed down but struggled to fall asleep. It must've been hours before I heard Luke pad up the stairs. He travelled to our room before stopping, then I heard foot prints coming closer to the spare room. I quickly shut my eyes and pretened to be asleep. My door creaked open.

"Rubes?" I heard. I ignored it and continued my act. Luke sighed in disappointment as I didn't answer. My eyes fluttered unintentionally as Luke pulled the cover over the parts of my uncovered body and kissed my forehead.

"I'm sorry," he whispered, possibly knowing that I was actually awake. My eyes prickled even though they were shut. I hated fighting with Luke. I felt sick knowing that things would be tense between us tomorrow. As Luke made his last attempts to make me more comfortable, he eventually left the room where I silently cried myself to sleep.