Chapter Forty-Four (Haile)

When the wave of winter has passed, and you can see the grass.

That inevitable day has come.

Thanks to the sun, the weather has warmed up. All the snow has melted and the grass is bright and green. The birds have decided not to come back yet, so that must mean winter isn't done taking its toll. But as of now, the grass is green, and it is warm.

It's January. So early in the year. Why would a scavenger pick this precarious time of the year to fight an adolescent? It doesn't make sense, but life is never supposed to make sense. Life is supposed to surprise us and keep us alert, and we are supposed to stay on our feet, prepared.

We ask mom and Aunt Laura what they think, but they don't know what to think. When I ask Jeah what she suggests we do, she agrees with me.

All mom says is, "Be safe." All Aunt Laura offers is a goodbye hug.

I take the black van we rarely use, and pull it into the dirt road. Jeah straps herself in the passenger seat and nods. Then all we do is drive in silence. My knuckles soon become white from gripping the steering wheel too hard.

I take my time, going under the speed limit since the roads are empty.

"Just to be cautious." Jeah tells me. "I don't want him to hurt anyone else because I came later than I was supposed to."

"I know," I mutter.

Jeah sees my eyes are glassy and my face is pale, and leans on me comfortingly. "Hey, I'll be okay."

"I know," I repeat, tired of hearing the same reassuring phrases coming out of her mouth.

Jeah sits up straight once again and sighs.

"I'll wait for you, weather you fight or not." I whisper. "I won't be that far off from the field."

"I'll fly up and find you." Jeah suggests lightly.

"Careful," I counter. "This Scavenger could have bad-ass backup."

Jeah nods and says again. "I'll be okay."

I swallow. "If you don't come back by sundown-"

"Assume I'm dead." Jeah finishes. She looks over to see my expression change and I can tell she is immediately guilty. After opening her mouth to mend the wound, she closes it and looks away awkwardly, not saying a word.

I will wait for you.

"Make sure to keep your eye on him at all times." I say to Jeah, listing off advice off the top of my head. "Don't let your guard down."

Jeah silently nods to every word of guidance I deal her.

"Stay on your feet."

"Eye's open."

"It always pays to have a trick up your sleeve, your ability to control fire. I'm sure they don't know about -"

"Haile." Jeah snaps me out of my auto-piolet like state. "The large field you were talking about, is that it?" Her finger points out the window, wavering slightly.

I swallow, a hard lump forcing its way down my throat. "Yes." I croaked. A large field spouting corn stalks extends across the horizon. I know, that beyond that field, is clear land. A perfect war-zone.

Jeah is going to die, I keep thinking, over and over. Jeah's never fought! She's going to die!

"Haile!" Jeah exclaims, noticing the tears in my eyes. "I'm going to be fine!" I can sense some worry in her voice. Maybe she is scared of dying, or just acting terrified with me. I am too tired to find out for sure.

Jeah opens the car door and steps out of the car. Her eyes meet mine, and something in my chest cracks like glass. I remember the deep crack in dad's pendent, and find myself thinking about the next time I will see Jeah's pendent.

"Don't come after me, no matter what." She says. "This guy wants me alone, that's what he's going to get!"

Tears fall down my face. I tremble, afraid that I am going to lose my sister. My only sister.

This may be the last time I see her. Her eyes will not hold the same sparkle when she is dead, so I hold them in my gaze as long as I can, memorizing.

Jeah reaches out and pats my hand. "I know I've never fought anyone before, but I need you to believe in me. Believe I can do this!"

I nod slowly.

"I know you are scared, I am too." She tilts her head. "But in this new reality, I have to do what's right, even if it means I may die."

Spoken like a true Teslent.

"Goodbye." Jeah chokes out, turning away and slamming the door.

When I drive away, I don't look over my shoulder, but I gaze into the rear-view mirror and watch Jeah's figure shrink down until she disappears from my sight.