Chapter Seven (Jeah)

The lunch line extended far throughout the cafeteria. Tammy led the way, and I followed eagerly.

"Must eat," Tammy muttered. "Must eat. I am starving!"

I tried grinning, but failed when my anxious thoughts roamed back into my head.

"Hey," Milo's voice rang in my ear. I jumped at the sudden sound of his voice.

"Late much?" Tammy joked swinging her pig-tails.

"Sorry," Milo whispered. After that it was silent for a while. The chatter buzzed among the students of the school.  As we waited, Tammy stood in front of me and hummed a tune.  Milo, who was behind me, said nothing. There was nothing for me to do, but look at my tennis shoes.

    Suddenly, I felt a strange feeling on my head. The weird sensation buzzed and tingled with activity. For me, this feeling was so common I had it memorized. Someone is looking at you, Jeah.

    Instinctively, I turned towards the feeling. I looked for Sye, for a gossip group, for anything, but I only found Milo.

    His smile was subtle, but genuine. In his eyes, admiration. He says nothing, like he is in a trance. There was a strange feeling I couldn't grasp that lay deep within his mind.  I locked eyes with him, and I let out a sigh. Milo-

    "Why are you staring at me like that?" I asked guarded.

    The expression vanished almost immediately from his gentle face. "Oh, what, was I staring? Sorry, I had no idea you...never mind."

I nodded to him slowly, "Okay?" Milo looked at something on the ground sheepishly. He groaned and shakes his head. My face was tight and my body was ridged. Slowly, I turned away and cupped my face with my hand. That was strange.

Soon the line was proceeding. As a group, we slowly trudged to a doorway that radiated light and savory smells.

We all sniffed deeply, and exhaled with a sigh, "French fries!" We murmured in a trance.

    As the line continued, Tammy began to bounce on her toes, "Yes, yes, yes!"

Our mouths watered as we finally made it to the doorway. I let out a sigh as the sent and warmth coming from inside engulfed me.

    An elderly voice rasped, "You three, come on up!"  To us the voice sounded like it came from an angel. Holding my stomach, I try to suppress the growling noises from within. 

    "See you on the other side." Tammy muttered without looking at us. She stepped forward and was consumed by the light.

    Milo whispered and I beamed at his words. "After you..." Without hesitation, I crept into the blinding light.

I had to blink my eyes to focus on everything around me. Looking around, I could see many kids lining up for food. Seeing a stack of plastic trays, I take one eagerly.

    I line up next to a girl with blond curls. "Oh my gosh, what luck have I had today." The girl whispers, gesturing to me.

    A girl with a black pixie-cut peered around her friend. She gasped and hid behind her friend. "Oh. My. Gosh. I feel SO bad for you!"

    I groaned and looked to my right to find Milo. Milo rolled his eyes. "Typical," He mouthed. "Don't listen to them."  I nodded solemnly, trying my best to agree.

    As we moved our trays down the silver rack. My mouth watered when I smelled the food again. It was lunch food, and it was disgusting, but what choice do we have. When it comes to middle school, you have no other options.