Chapter Thirty-Four (Jeah)

When Haile vanished, I was all too confused when she left me with the thoughts that had just been born.

"As far as mom and dad know, I didn't teach you anything." She had said.

What's that supposed to mean?

When this thought comes to mind, I find myself doubting again. Doubting about my mended relationship with my sister, doubting her trust in me. Feeling like I am back where I started, left in the dark.

Don't be stupid, I reassure myself. She is only trying to protect you.

But then every thought vanishes when my mom eclipses my focus.

"Jeah!" My mom exclaims. "You're here!"

"It's fine, I didn't break anything." I teased her, my tone covering up the past. How much longer can I lie? I wonder.

"Oh," Mother says. "So you found your way around?"

"Not exactly," I say looking around the grassy plain. I feel peace resonate with every ripple along the grass. The grassy plain surrounds me like an ocean, drowning me in its peace. I intake the fresh air, and sigh it out. Grinning, I know that I finally belong here.

I belong here.

"That's right Jeah!" Mother says. "You do belong here!"

I swallow, fear creeping over me and casting a shadow over me. She is reading your mind, keep focused. Keep it together!

"Say, do you know where your sister is?" My mom asks.

"Upstairs." I say, hoping that was where she teleported.

"Oh, I see." She muses.

"Where's dad?" I ask, noticing he isn't here.

"Work." She answers. "It's been hard on him lately. He's getting worn out. More hours, less sleep and free time." She shrugs. "I guess that's life for you."

I begin to nod, agreeing with my mom when suddenly a question skims the surface of my thoughts. For  a moment, my mind trails off. What does my dad do for a living?

"So Jeah," Mother grins, dragging me back into attention. Her sharp eyes remind me how quick witted she is. I have to stay alert. My mind prepares phrases I can focus on in case I feel my mind being poked, prodded, and opened like a book "You ready to learn something?"

My lips curl up into a grin. Even though the "learning" experience I had with Haile was terrible, it made me feel powerful. It made me feel invincible.

"I'm ready." I whisper, finally meaning it.

*********************

At this point, now I see why Haile had taught me to know my own fears

Learning as if my trigger was love is tough, so knowing my fears makes learning all the more easier.

That is, if I had actually learned anything by now.

"Come on Jeah, I know you can do it!" My mom cheers me on, waving her fists enthusiastically. The only things missing from her demeanor were two fluffy pom-poms and a megaphone.

"What am I trying to do again?" I ask.

"Inherit intuition!" How could I have forgotten, I seemed so eager about it a few minutes ago.