Chapter 3

King Mark watched his sons leave the room. He knew it was dangerous, that they might even be killed. He just couldn't bring himself to stop them. He buried his head in his hands and let out a long sigh.

"Lily... did I do the right thing?" He whispered, almost hoping his late wife would respond. The irony was their marriage was actually arranged. It kept peace between the land of Hero's and Animatronica. In the end, they ended up happy.

"Pardon me your highness, it's time to take your medicine." A small, feminine voice echoed through the room. Tee Chica poked her head in the door.

"Be quiet, Nurse." Markiplier mumbled. He lifted his head and put on a wry smile. Tee sighed and went in any way.

"The kingdom needs their king to be healthy. My apologies, but the boys aren't ready to be king just yet." the young nurse objected.

"I know, I know!" The king growled and leaned back in his throne. He wasn't a tyrant, but if anyone usually spoke to him this way he'd command them to leave. This wasn't just anyone though. This was Lily's favorite handmaiden. She grew up with Nathan and Matthew, made sure Lily was well cared for, and was now making sure Markiplier took his medicine. She had a special place in this castle.

"Permission to speak freely, your majesty?"

"Well you already do. There's no point in stopping now."

"Apologies, but I have reasons for believing the boys- I mean Prince Nathan and Matthew- aren't ready to be king. Prince Nathan has a tendency to be over violent, and truthfully he needs his brother to think rationally. On the other hand, Prince Matthew is rational... He just doesn't know any battle tactic. The two best possibilities are Prince Nathan keeps his brother as an advisor, or Prince Matthew keeps Nathan as the head of his army. You can't separate them unless you want chaos." Her words made King Mark think. These are points that had barely crossed his mind, let alone been a real worry. What if one of them died on this quest? Would he be sentencing his people to death? What if one refused to listen to the other? He sighed and shook his head.

"Give me the herbs." He ordered, suddenly feeling rather exhausted. Tee nodded and handed him a little bowl. The medicine was bitter bit it was better than death. He took the bowl and looked at the crushed herbs. They were dust at this point. He reached for the glass of water on a small table by hos throne. A second throne used to be placed there. He hesitated before picking up the glass. For a moment, he saw Lily. With her dark skin, raven hair, big brown eyes, and gorgeous smile. His hand shook and he drew it back. He rested it on the arm of his throne. Lily's small hand would usually be resting there to hold. The understanding toy animatronic sighed, going up and picking the glass up herself.

"She was an amazing queen. She treated her servants well, even though we were mere insects in her shadow. She was a strong shoulder for anyone to lean on..." a small smile appeared on her beak, "I see her in MatPat and Nate. Don't worry, because when all is said and done they'll make this kingdom prosper. I doubt she wants to see you quite yet." She handed the glass to Mark. He chuckled slightly as he took it from her.

"She used to say I'd be a better king of the squirrels than of animatronics." He murmured. Tee nodded. Markiplier sighed and finally took the powder. Chica took the bowl and silently left, leaving the king to his thoughts. Mark leaned back in his chair, his eyes closed.

"Are you proud of me yet, Lil?" He soft smile settled onto his features. She had hated that name, and that's why he constantly called her that. "I've done my best to protect the boys, I've given Tee her medical training, I've even fixed relations with Lord Matthias of Jostle." He could almost hear her voice as it tried desperately to be cross with him. A king' s work is never done, you jester.