Fate Reloaded--Part III, Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

Five minutes later, Jordana was packed into a table in the corner of the club with Gary Underworld, Tyler, Breckin and Manni. Right after Mr. Underworld had made his big announcement to Jordana, she’d told him he needed to talk to Tyler. Now, they were all sitting around a small table, drinking water and listening to Mr. Underworld’s pitch.

“I’ve gotta say, guys, your sound is awesome!” the guy gushed. “I mean, you’re sort of rock, but sort of pop, and even have that alternative thing going on.”

Tyler looked sideways at Jordana, before answering. “Uh, thanks, man.”

Mr. Underworld continued.

“I think kids will really connect with your music. And those lyrics! How did you come up with them? They’re so fresh and slamming,” he said, clapping his hands together excitedly.

Jordana held back a giggle and knew that the others were trying equally as hard not to burst out laughing. No one over the age of, like, 12, should be able to use the term ‘slamming.’ It’s just wrong on so many different levels, Jordana thought to herself as the older man talked hurriedly.

“Well, Tyler came up with a lot of our songs, but now that Jordana’s on board, I’m sure they’ll be collaborating more often,” Breckin said, looking over at the two of them.

“Now, that’s what I’m talking about!” Mr. Underworld said loudly. “Collaboration. Collaboration between The Bones and Twisted Entertainment.”

“And what exactly is Twisted Entertainment, again?” Tyler asked the man.

“Twisted Entertainment is the name of our record company in Jasper,” Mr. Underworld said. “I know, I know. You wouldn’t think of Jasper as being headquarters to a record label, but we really like to surround ourselves with talent, really get right into the thick of it. And as you probably already know, the most talented artists don’t necessarily live in New York and Los Angeles. We like to stay humble at Twisted Entertainment and that’s why we’ve chosen Jasper as our home.”

“I don’t mean to be rude,” Tyler said. “But if you’re the president of the company, why are you out here at this rinky dink club, listening to us?”

“Ever since I launched Twisted, I made it a point to immerse myself in this industry. That means, discovering the groups we’re going to sign,” Mr. Underworld said, brushing off his jacket. “It was because of me that Zachary Tones has the career he has now.”

“That country dude?” Manni asked, who had remained quiet until then. “But we’re not even a little bit country.”

“And Twisted isn’t just about country. We’re looking for a new group to be the next big thing and that’s why I’d like to sign you guys right away,” Mr. Underworld said, folding his arms across his chest and leaning back in his chair, confidently.

Tyler stared at the expensively dressed man, before answering, “We’re gonna need to think about it.”

“Absolutely,” Mr. Underworld said, nodding enthusiastically. “In fact, why don’t the four of you head down to Jasper for the weekend and we’ll show you around the label and give you the total Twisted tour.”

Tyler shrugged his shoulders. “We could probably do that,” he said coolly.

“And of course, everything would be on us,” Mr. Underworld said. “We’ll send cars to pick you all up and we’ll put you up in a hotel for the weekend.”

Jordana already knew that her parents would never let her spend the weekend in Jasper without parental supervision, so as Mr. Underworld was starting to get up, she cleared her throat.

“Um, is there any way my parents could come, too?” Jordana asked, a little embarrassed to be the only one who apparently had to bring her folks along.

“Not a problem,” Mr. Underworld said, without hesitation. “You can all bring your parents if you want.”

“Thanks,” Jordana said, relieved.

“So, here’s my card in case you need to get in touch with me, otherwise I’ll call you with the details later,” Mr. Underworld said, handing them each his business card. “I guess I’ll see you all tomorrow. I’m really pumped about this, guys!”

They all watched in silence as the president of Twisted Entertainment walked toward the club’s exit and disappeared.

“Are you guys as ‘pumped’ as I am about this?” Manni asked, making fun of Mr. Underworld.

“I’m so ‘pumped’ about this, that I can’t even tell you how ‘pumped’ I am,” Breckin said, laughing. “For real though, guys, are we really gonna do this?”

Tyler was still looking over toward the door. Finally he picked up his water and took a big gulp. “Wouldn’t hurt to check it out,” he said, putting his empty glass back onto the table.

“Do you really think we could get a record deal?” Jordana asked incredulously.

“Sounds like he’s pretty interested, so I guess it’s possible,” Tyler said. “But I wouldn’t get too excited just yet. We’ve still gotta see if the guy’s legit or not.”

“Do you know what this could mean though, dude?” Manni asked Tyler. “This could mean the end of living in this craphole town. We could be famous, travel around the world—be rich!”

“And you know it would totally help out our chick situation,” Breckin said, smiling and nodding his head.

“And what chick situation is that?” Jordana asked, her eyebrow raised.

“You know,” Breckin said. “The whole not having any chicks situation.”

“Oh,” Jordana said, chuckling. “That situation.”

Then it dawned on Jordana what they were all saying.

“Are you guys really ready for your lives to completely change?” Jordana asked them.

Breckin and Manni looked at each other and then both answered, “Hell yeah!”

“Well, I’m not so sure I’m ready for fame and all that stuff,” Jordana said, fidgeting in her seat. “I mean playing a few songs for small places like this is totally fun. But to have everyone know my name and be all up in my business and everything. I just don’t know if I’m up for that.”

“Like I said, nothing’s being decided right now, and it might not even happen,” Tyler said, looking Jordana in the eyes. “We have plenty of time to make a decision. No worries, OK? In the meantime, let’s take advantage of a free trip to Jasper and see what they have to say.”

“OK,” Jordana said, feeling a little bit better.

The group started to break down their equipment and placed all their gear in Manni’s van. As Jordana stood onstage and disassembled her microphone, she remembered what it had felt like to be up there and having the audience go crazy for her. She had to admit that it had been a pretty great feeling.

But could I do it in front of millions of people? And is this really what I want to do with my life? Be a professional singer? she asked herself, before following the guys to the van and piling inside.

___________________________________________________________________________

Note from the author:

If you like Fate Reloaded, be sure to fan me, and then support your fellow Wattpadder by buying my other book, Life's a Witch, in paperback, or for the Kindle or Nook. Just go to amazon.com and search Life's a Witch...you could help make me the next  New York Times Best Seller!

Thanks for your support!

:)
Britt