Fate Reloaded--Part IV, Chapter Six

Chapter Six

            The film festival was being held at a banquet hall in a nearby hotel. Jordana had taken nearly an hour to get ready that afternoon and as she stepped into the banquet room, she felt relieved that she had gone with a simple black dress and kitten-heel shoes. Her long dark hair was curled and tumbled around her shoulders. Besides lip-gloss, her face was free of makeup, and she still looked better than half the people in the room.

            Spotting Desi across the room, Jordana speed-walked over and tapped her on the shoulder.

            “Omigod!” Desi exclaimed, as she turned around and saw Jordana’s outfit. “You look amazing!”

            “Aw, this old thing?” Jordana said, smiling. “Just something I threw on.”

            “It must be tough being so pretty and perfect,” Desi said in a pouty voice.

            “It’s like a curse!” Jordana exclaimed, playing along.

            The two of them stared at each other and immediately fell into a giggling fit. When their sides were just starting to hurt and tears were about to form in the corners of their eyes, they forced themselves to stop laughing.

            “Well, you look great too, Desi,” Jordana said, admiring her friend’s pink skirt and black top.

            “What? This old thing?” Desi responded, with a smile.

            “OK, we could be here all night doing this,” Jordana said, sitting down at the table that had been designated for their group. “Where’s your brother?”

            “You won’t believe it, but he had to go pick up his date,” Desi said, rolling her eyes.

            “What?” Jordana asked, her heart plummeting slightly.

            “I know. Can you believe that someone actually agreed to go out with the doofus?” Desi said.

            “Who’s he bringing?” Jordana asked, practically choking on the words.

            “Don’t know. Don’t care,” Desi said. “But she can’t be too bright if she’s dating my brother.”

            Jordana stared down at the table and studied the designs on the cheap tablecloth. She was willing herself not to cry, when she saw a shadow land on the table in front of her. Looking up, she saw Billy smiling at her.

            “Is this seat taken?” Billy asked, gesturing to the chair next to Jordana.

            “Nope,” Jordana said, forcing a smile. “It’s all yours.”

            Billy sat down at the table and looked around the room, wide eyed.

            “Wow, I had no idea how big this thing was going to be,” Billy said, shaking his head.

            “Yeah,” Desi said. “It’s not a bad turn out.”

            They sat in silence as they all studied the room.

            “So, where’s Sara?” Jordana asked Billy.

            Billy waved his hand nonchalantly. “We broke up,” he said. “She was super-jealous of everyone. She even got mad that you and I kissed in the movie. I mean, I told her that just because girls want me, doesn’t mean I’m cheating on her.”