Fate Reloaded--Part I, Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven            The next morning, Jordana found herself in the front seat of Desi’s car, speeding toward PCHS. She’d been quiet since they’d gotten in the car, and hadn’t even bothered to turn down the blaring music. Jordana found that it was easier for her to get lost in her own thoughts that way.

                When they were halfway to school, Desi turned down the music and glanced at Jordana out of the corner of her eye.

            “So, where were you yesterday at lunch?” Desi asked her. “I saved you a spot, but you never showed.”

            “Uh, yeah, sorry about that. I ate outside,” Jordana answered. “I just had to think, you know?”

            “Of course. I’m sure it didn’t have anything to do with the fact that Billy and Sara would be at lunch too, right?” Desi asked, her eyes on the road.

            Jordana thought of making up some excuse, but realized that Desi knew her too well to buy any story she’d come up with.

            “Guilty as charged,” Jordana admitted to her.

            “Thought so,” Desi said.

            They drove in silence for a few minutes, until Desi spoke again.

            “Look, I know this is really tough for you, but please don’t shut me out, just because you’re mad at them, OK?” she said, softly. “I mean, you can ignore them and still hang out with me.”

            “I totally understand,” Jordana said, feeling a little guilty. “And it won’t happen again. I promise.”

            “Good,” Desi said, in her usual perky way. “Now that that’s settled, what have you been up to?”

            Jordana looked down at her lap and started to pick at her nails. “Well, you know that guy Kip Delaney?” she said. “He’s sort of geeky and doesn’t really hang with any one crowd.”

            “Sure. He’s in my calculus class,” Desi answered. Then she gasped and added, “Don’t tell me that you’ve moved onto him, just because Billy and Sara are dating!”

            “It’s not like that. We’re just—friends,” Jordana answered, shaking her head. “Wait, Billy and Sara are actually dating now?”

            “Yeah. Would have mentioned that earlier, but, you know,” Desi started. “They’re both stupid anyway. What I want to hear about is what’s going on with you and Kipper.”

            Jordana tried to ignore the tightening in her chest that had arrived as soon as Desi had mentioned the news about Billy and Sara. Instead, she tried to concentrate on telling Desi about Kip. She gave her the abridged version of how she and Kip met and how they were hanging out in order to catch the guy who robbed the O’Shea’s.

            “You guys are like Mulder and Scully,” Desi said, when Jordana finished. “Except you’re way hotter than Scully ever was.”

            “Thanks,” Jordana said, laughing.

            “Well, that’s cool,” Desi said finally. “Let me know if you need help with anything.”

            “I think we’ve got it for now,” Jordana said, then added, “but thanks.”

            They pulled up to school and both got out of the car. Desi started telling Jordana about a movie she’d watched on the Lifetime channel the night before, as they walked to the school entrance. Before she reached the steps, Kip appeared out of nowhere and joined them as they walked.