Fate Reloaded--Part III, Chapter Six

Chapter Six

“So you guys’ll be there tonight, right?” Jordana asked her friends at lunch the following Friday.

Jordana had gone to Tyler’s house every day after school, since that first day of practice. It had been hard to learn all of the guys’ songs in such a short amount of time, but after hours of practice, she was pretty confident she had them down. Jordana found herself singing the songs throughout the day, walking to class, standing around in P.E. and even when she spaced out in class. Learning all their music had also been a great way to keep her mind off of the Billy and Sara drama.

“Of course we’ll be there,” Desi said, in a “duh” sort of way. “We wouldn’t miss a chance to see our little Jordana rock out onstage.”

“Dude. We didn’t even know you could sing,” Noe said, shoveling food into his mouth.

I didn’t know I could sing,” Jordana said. “And it’s not like I’m a great singer or anything, so don’t expect Mariah Carey or anything.”

“Sorry, Jordana, but I won’t be able to make it,” Billy said. “I’ve got practice for this movie thing I’m doing.”

“That sucks,” Jordana said, not totally sad about the news.

“Welcome to my life,” Sara said, annoyed. “He’s been going to these stupid practices all week. You’d think a girl would get to see her boyfriend every once in a while.”

Jordana winced as Sara called Billy her boyfriend, but then covered it up with a smile.

“Well, at least the rest of you will be there,” Jordana said, happily.

“We’re totally there,” Melina said, nodding her head. “So what are these guys like? You said they go to a Catholic school, right? So are they all preppy, goody goodies or what?”

“No. They’re really cool,” Jordana said, picking at her food. “They’re kind of the opposite of what you’d think. Tyler’s got blue streaks in his hair and a tattoo on his arm. Breckin dresses kind of retro punk. And Manni’s just—Manni. You guys’ll really like them. They’re wild.”

“I’m sure we will,” Desi agreed. “Now, for the most important question.”

“What’s that?” Jordana asked.

“What are you gonna wear?” Desi asked, seriously.

Jordana giggled and began to describe her outfit to Desi.

*     *     *     *

Later that night, Jordana found herself staring at her reflection in the club’s bathroom mirror. She barely recognized herself. She’d twisted her hair into two funky, messy buns, leaving pieces of her hair poking out all around her head. She’d applied dark eye liner to her eyes and had stained her lips a glossy red. She was wearing a short, plaid skirt, a black tank top and red, knee-high boots. The whole look was very un-Jordana like.

“Whoa, girl. You look hot!” Desi said, stepping into the bathroom behind her.

Jordana turned around to face her friend and brushed herself off, nervously.

“Really?” Jordana asked. “You’re not just saying that, because you’re my best friend, right? Because as my best friend, you’re supposed to always be brutally honest with me.”

“I am being brutally honest with you,” Desi said, walking around Jordana to check her out. When she was finished, she whistled loudly. “Who knew there was this much hotness in you, Jor?”