Fate Reloaded--Part I, Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                Twenty minutes later, Jordana found herself standing outside her house, explaining to the cops exactly what she’d seen while she was up on the roof. Her camera was slung around her neck and she fidgeted with its strap as she answered the officer’s questions.

            “I was sitting up on my roof when I saw someone moving around in the O’Shea’s house,” Jordana said slowly, as she recounted her story yet again. She’d already answered the same questions to at least two other cops—both of which were now investigating the O’Shea’s place—and she was getting sick of repeating herself.

            “Why were you up on the roof in the first place?” the cop asked.

            Jordana glanced back at her parents who’d been standing slightly behind her since the police had shown up.

            “Uh, well, I was bored and sometimes I sit on my roof to clear my head or whatever,” she mumbled, looking down at the ground. Until that night, Jordana’s parents hadn’t known that she’d been climbing out her window on a regular basis. Now, she wondered if they thought she’d been trying to sneak out, instead of just chilling outside.

            “OK,” the cop answered curiously. It was obvious that he didn’t exactly believe her story either, which ticked her off a little. She glanced quickly at his badge, which read “Officer Dick.” She silently promised to remember the irony of the situation, so she could laugh with Desi about it later.

            “So, you were up on your roof, just hanging out,” he continued, “and then what?”

            “Like I said, I was up on my roof and was looking around the neighborhood and up at the sky and stuff, when I heard something,” Jordana replied. “I wasn’t sure where the noise had come from, or really even what it was, but then I saw someone moving around in the O’Shea’s house. At first I didn’t think anything of it, but then I thought it was a little weird for Mr. or Mrs. O’Shea to be walking around in the dark with a flashlight. I mean, nobody wants to save on electricity that much.”

            Jordana waited for Officer Dick or her parents to snicker at her joke, but all she heard was the static coming from the radio in the cop car.

            O—K. Tough crowd, she thought to herself before continuing.

            “Anyway, I was a little weirded out by the whole thing and grabbed my camera from inside my room and waited until the guy was at the window and took a picture of him,” Jordana said, motioning to the camera around her neck.

            “We’re going to need to take your camera, so that we can see if we can identify the perp,” Officer Dick said without smiling.

            “Yeah, OK,” Jordana said, grudgingly, as she pulled the camera from around her neck and handed it over. “But I’m gonna need it back. There are pictures of my friends on there too.”

            Officer Dick nodded as he placed her camera on the front seat of his car and then turned back to look at her.

            “You said that it was a guy at the window,” he said, crossing his arms. “How do you know it was a male? Did you get a look at his face?”

            Jordana shook her head. “No. He was wearing a ski mask, so all I could see was what he was wearing,” she answered. “And how cliché is that? Wearing a black ski mask, I mean. I thought they only did that sort of thing in the movies. And it’s way too hot to be wearing wool right now anyway.”

            Jordana heard her father sigh from behind her as she rambled on.

            “What I mean is that I could tell it was a guy from his build. The shirt he was wearing was sort of tight. The way guys these days wear their shirts a size too small, so that you can see how built they are and stuff,” Jordana said, talking rapidly.

            “Was there anything else you remember about the ‘guy’ besides his fashion sense?” the officer interrupted.

            Hello, rude!

            “Why yes, Officer Dick, there was one more thing I noticed,” Jordana said, emphasizing the cop’s name while she smiled sweetly. “The shirt he was wearing was a PCHS tee. The ones that guys have to wear during P.E. and stuff.”

            “Interesting,” he said, chewing on the pen he was holding, as he read over everything he’d written down.

            “Officer, is that all you need from us?” Jordana’s dad asked after a moment.

            “Yes, Judge Kane,” I think that’ll be all for now,” Officer Dick said, closing his notebook with a snap. Then, he looked over at Jordana and added, “But don’t go leaving the city or anything.” Then, for the first time since he’d started questioning her, the cop laughed.

            “Uh, okay,” Jordana answered, trying not to roll her eyes.

            “Sweetie, we’re going to go back inside,” Jordana’s mom said, as she and her dad walked back toward the house. “Don’t stay out here too long.”

            “Oh, and we’re gonna talk about this little ‘hanging out on the roof thing’ later,” The Judge added.

            “OK,” Jordana mumbled.

            The night was starting to get chilly and Jordana crossed her arms over her chest, as she balanced on one foot and then the other. In the middle of all the drama, she’d forgotten to put on her shoes.

            “Hey, Jimmy! We checked the place and nothing seems to be gone,” said an officer who was emerging from the O’Shea’s house. “The residents are on their way home now, so we should know more when they’ve gotten a chance to go through their stuff.”

            “OK,” Officer Dick yelled back. “My shift ended about twenty minutes ago. You guys mind waiting around for their statement, so I can take off?”

            “No problem, man. We’ll let you know what we find out.”

            Jordana watched as Officer Dick got back in his car and drove away from her house. As he rolled away from her driveway, Jordana noticed the crowd that had gathered across the street.

            Guess there were more people home, than I thought.

            As she took note of which of her neighbors couldn’t fight the temptation to snoop, Jordana noticed a guy that went to her school, standing a little bit away from the crowd. She’d seen him around the halls, and faintly remembered that his name was Kip. She squinted at him through the dark and saw that he was wearing a pair of gray sweats and a promotional T-shirt from the horror movie, Saw.

            Jordana could tell Kip knew that she was staring at him, and after a moment, he turned away and began to walk back down the street. She continued to watch him, until he disappeared through the front door of a house a few doors down from hers.

            Stealing another glance at the O’Shea’s house next door, Jordana headed back to her own house, closing and then locking the door behind her.

__________________________________________________________________________

Note from the author:

If you like Fate Reloaded, be sure to fan me, and then support your fellow Wattpadder by buying my other book, Life's a Witch, in paperback, or for the Kindle or Nook. Just go to amazon.com and search Life's a Witch...you could help make me the next  New York Times Best Seller!

Thanks for your support!

:)
Britt