Fate Reloaded--Part I, Chapter Four

Chapter Four

            “Police were busy Friday night, investigating a rash of burglaries around the city of Point Charles,” a woman’s voice said. “More than 25 houses were broken into, each boasting only one item missing.”

            Jordana sat at the kitchen table Monday morning, picking at her bagel as she watched the newscaster talk about the break ins. She was surprised to find out that the O’Shea’s hadn’t been the only house broken into that Friday. Jordana found the whole thing to be way weird.

            Her mom walked into the kitchen just then, and sat down across from Jordana. She took a bagel for herself and began to slather it with cream cheese.

            “You know, I talked to Mrs. O’Shea this morning,” her mom said, as she turned her attention to the TV, too.

            “Oh yeah?” Jordana was suddenly intrigued. “What did she say? What did the guy take?”

            “Well, apparently the only thing that was missing was an old necklace she’d had tucked away in her jewelry box,” her mom answered, taking a bite of her bagel. “The funny thing was that it wasn’t even worth anything. It was an old St. Christopher medal, and she said that it couldn’t have cost more than $10. You can buy those kinds of necklaces just about anywhere.”

            “Huh,” Jordana said, thinking about this new information as she chewed on her bagel.

            Her thoughts were interrupted as she heard a knock at the back door. She looked up, to see Desi walking into the kitchen, car keys in hand.

            “Hey, Desi,” her mom said brightly. “You want a bagel for the road?”

            “No thanks, Mrs. Kane,” Desi answered, patting her stomach as she crossed the room. “I’m trying to lay off the carbs a little.”

            “You kids and your weird diets,” her mom answered, shaking her head. “When I was kid, there wasn’t all this hoopla over the South Beach Diet, or the Zone, or Atkins or anything.”

            “Mom, when you were a kid, you didn’t have to look like Paris Hilton in order to have guys notice you,” Jordana said, jokingly.

            The reporter on the TV was just ending her segment on the robberies, and added that although the police didn’t think the burglars would strike again, everyone should keep their doors were locked at all times.

            “Man, I can’t believe you saw the guy at the O’Shea’s,” Desi said, eyes wide.

            “Well, I didn’t really see him,” Jordana said as she gathered her books and placed them in her bag. “I mean, he was wearing a mask and all.”

            “Yeah, but you were, like, there, in the middle of it all,” Desi said. “It’s so crazy.”

            Jordana didn’t say anything as she kissed her mom goodbye and headed out the back door. Desi chattered on as they walked down to her car, which was parked in her driveway. Jordana tossed her bag onto the backseat and then hopped into the lime green Volkswagen Beetle.

            As Desi turned the key and the engine roared to life, Jordana was once again surprised at the music that erupted around her. She leaned over quickly and turned the volume down about a hundred levels.

            “How is it possible that you’re not completely deaf by now?” Jordana asked, rubbing her ears.

            “What?” Desi asked her jokingly. “What can I say, I like my music like I like my men. Loud and crazy-fun.”

            “Ha, ha,” Jordana answered sarcastically. “Speaking of guys, hurry up and dish. I want details about the other night.”

            Desi was suddenly silent as she sat in the driver’s seat and maneuvered around cars along the road. This was not a good sign. Desi never shut up.

            “What?” Jordana asked, sensing her friend’s discomfort. “Is it bad?”

            “Just promise me you won’t freak out, OK?” Desi asked her, her eyes darting over at Jordana, before focusing back on the road.

            “Desi, just spill already,” Jordana said frowning.

            “Well, Billy, sort of made out with a girl at the movies,” Desi said carefully.

            Jordana felt her heart drop. It was almost the exact feeling she got going down that first hill on a roller coaster, kind of like your heart’s leaping up into your throat.

She took several deep breaths and looked out the window.

            “Who is she?” Jordana asked, finally.

            “I just want to let you know that I would never do this to you, and I am totally prepared to hate her along with you,” Desi said quickly.

            “Des. Who. Is. She?”

            “It was Sara,” Desi answered.

            “Sara? As in Sarafina Radford? As in my friend Sara?” Jordana asked, her voice reaching octaves she wasn’t aware she could hit.

            “Yeah,” Desi answered. “Look, Jordana, I’m really sorry.”

            “I can’t believe she’d do this to me,” Jordana said, tightening and untightening her fists. She could practically feel the adrenaline coursing through her body.

            “Well, you never really told her that you liked him, did you?” Desi asked, nervously. “I mean, maybe if she’d known he was your future husband, she wouldn’t have made the moves on him.”

            Jordana glared at her friend and then turned her head swiftly away from her.

            “Listen, you know that it’s not like Billy and her are gonna be a couple or anything,” Desi said, trying to calm her down. “I mean, come on, it’s Sara. She makes out with more guys than Angelina Jolie. She’s not exactly the girlfriend type.”

            “Then why did Billy kiss her?” Jordana asked her softly. Her anger was slowly turning to sadness and she suddenly felt like crying.

            “Uh, because he’s a guy and guys are dogs,” Desi said. “As perfect as you thought Billy was, he’s not strong enough to turn down a few smooches.”

            Jordana winced as she pictured Billy and Sara all over each other.

            “Bottom line? She’s a skank and he’s an ass,” Desi said, as she pulled the car into the school parking lot. “The guy’s just proven that he doesn’t deserve you.”

            “I guess,” Jordana said reluctantly.

            They got out of the car and started to walk toward the entrance of the building.

            “You know I’ve got your back, right?” Desi asked, throwing her arm over her friend’s shoulder. “Just say the word and I’ll kick both their butts!”

            “Thanks, Des. But really, I’m going to be fine,” Jordana said, not even convincing herself.

            Why didn’t I put on waterproof mascara this morning? Jordana thought to herself as she felt her eyes filling with tears.

__________________________________________________________________________

Note from the author:

If you like Fate Reloaded, be sure to fan me, and then support your fellow Wattpadder by buying my other book, Life's a Witch, in paperback, or for the Kindle or Nook. Just go to amazon.com and search Life's a Witch...you could help make me the next  New York Times Best Seller!

Thanks for your support!

:)
Britt