Fate Reloaded--Part II, Chapter Two

Chapter Two

            On the way over to Mike’s Diner, they talked about everything from movies, to the kind of music they liked, to their favorite kind of food. Their conversation was an easy one, and pretty soon Jordana forgot how hot Ben was, and really began to enjoy the company of this new guy.

            When they got to the diner, the hostess sat them in a booth near the front door. Usually preferring a place in the back, Jordana noted that everyone in the restaurant would have to walk past their table to leave–and would no doubt notice the hottie seated across from her.

            They ordered some fries and two cups of coffee and continued their conversation as they waited for the food.

            “So, why would the movie company want to send you here? To Point Charles, I mean,” Jordana asked him as she motioned around them. “I mean, our little town’s not exactly on the map.”

            Ben laughed easily. “True, true,” he agreed. “But I really like this place. It’s quiet and slow-paced, you know?”

            “Yeah, so quiet, you could probably hear people dying from boredom,” Jordana answered sarcastically.

            “No, really. I think it’s great,” he said.

            “So, again, I ask, why would the movie company want to send you here?”

            “Well, it was sort of my idea, too,” Ben said, pushing up his sleeves, revealing a small cross tattoo on the inside of his right wrist. “My grandma lives here and I thought I could do a little movie research out here and get to visit her at the same time.”     

            “That’s cool,” Jordana said. “Getting a little Grams time in while you work. What’s her name? Everyone around here practically knows everyone else. You know, small town and all.”

            “Her name’s Mrs. Harrison,” Ben said. “She lives over on Mulberry.”

            “I totally know Mrs. Harrison!” Jordana exclaimed. “She used to babysit me when I was really little. So, your Grams is Mrs. Harrison.”

            Ben smiled at Jordana as he listened to her talk about his grandmother. “Yep. Small world,” he added. “So, I’m just visiting her and working at the same time.”

            Their conversation was interrupted as the waitress placed the fries in front of them and then poured them their coffee.

            “If you’d excuse me for a minute,” Ben said, standing up. “Just gotta wash up real quick.”                                                                                               

            “Yep,” Jordana said. “You’re definitely Mrs. Harrison’s grandson.”

            She watched him walk away and then picked up a fry and shoved it into her mouth. Then, she began to canvas the place, to see who was spending their Friday night on dates and who was just there alone. There was an older couple across from them, sharing a piece of apple pie. They talked slowly and every once in a while, the older man would pat the woman’s wrinkled hand.

            Old people are so cute sometimes, she thought to herself, before continuing her browsing of the diner’s inhabitants. She saw a few giggling girls in the far left corner. Jordana recognized them as freshman at her school. They were all talking quietly to each other and kept glancing over to the table next to them. Jordana glanced over herself, to see what all the fuss was about, and watched as a guy strummed on his guitar and then wrote feverishly in a notebook. She thought that maybe the guy was on a roll, but then he crossed out what he’d just written, ripped the paper out and balled it up in frustration.