Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"What's wrong Kai?" I whispered my own expression softened as I saw the hurt in his eyes.

"I just wanted to let you know..." Kai began as he sat up in bed and faced me, my eyes widened and I felt my cheeks redden; he motioned for me to sit up with his head so I did. "I just wanted to let you know, how important you are to me, I know as a kid I never really expressed my feelings but Miyuki, I've always loved you and I don't wanna be with anyone else, it hurt me when I was with Eri because I knew it was secretly hurting you so, I'm going to do something forbidden, your ancestors would have never allowed it..." Kai said quietly, my expression turned to confusion as Kai wrapped his arms around me and pulled me towards him, soon I was sitting on his knee and he brought his lips closer to mine.

He kissed me and I felt my heart rate pick up instantly as my cheeks flushed, I didn't understand what was forbidden about this, after all he had kissed me before but then he pulled away.

"Miyuki, how does that make you feel?" he asked I soon realised tears had escaped my eyes but I didn't understand why, maybe it was because of everything that happened. When I didn't respond Kai rested his head on my chest as he continued to hug me. "Miyuki, if I asked you to be, would you say yes to belonging to me?" he questioned as he looked back up at me with a pained expression.

"Of course Kai, I-I love you, you've always been there for me." I whispered, but just because I had agreed to belonging to Kai didn't mean we'd be going out, well that was what I thought.

"Well, I'm sorry Miyuki... we can't be any more than friends...." Kai replied as I sat back on my bed and he turned onto his side.

"What, w-why not?" I asked.

"I'm your enemy..." Kai muttered and my eyes widened.

"What are you talking about? You're not my enemy Kai, you'll never be my enemy you're my best friend..." I said as my voice wavered slightly.

"My dad isn't dead Miyuki; he was the one who killed your father." Kai explained my eyes widened with shock.

"What? But even if that were true, it wouldn't matter because my Father's alive now." I whispered.

"It happened though, that's why my mother divorced him and made out he was dead, she was friends with both of your parents but I don't belong with you, I've got the enemies blood in my veins, my father's clan were your ancestors enemies they were the ones who found out about the stupid device and because of that I'd never get to be with you, so just forget you ever had feelings for me I'm just another one of them." Kai replied. I was shocked and as I lay back down in bed I turned to my side and tears escaped my eyes, I made sure they were silent so Kai wouldn't worry but even now I didn't believe he'd ever worry about me again.

Kai was preventing himself from expressing any feeling other than friendship and I had to realise that's how it would be from now on.

I eventually fell asleep and when I woke up Kai was no longer there, more tears came to my eyes and I wiped them away as best I could. As I walked out of my bedroom and into the kitchen my parents knew something was wrong, I didn't care though all this felt like was a dream, nobody could be brought back from the dead and it was like I was trapped in my own sweet dream, something I never would have wanted but this dream was slowly turning into a nightmare, I was losing the one guy I'd cared about for my whole life and there was nothing I could do about it.

Tears still escaped my eyes and I continued to wipe at them as I ate my breakfast.

"Hey Miyuki how about we go up to that river you liked so much as a kid?" My dad asked, probably thinking that saying that would improve my mood.