Chapter Two

Dan and Phil finally made it to the nurse's office. Dan told Phil to leave, but he insisted on staying.

"Oh no, Dan! What happened this time?" Asks the nurse.

"I-I didn't d-d-do anything. Chris and Pj just walked up to me, said things, then punched me."

"Here let me take a look at your nose"

The nurse examined Dan's nose.

"You're fine, here's some ice and come back for a new pack every period. Here's a pass" the nurse handed Dan the ice and Phil the pass.

They walked in the hallway.

"Why didn't you just leave me?" Asks Dan

"Because I didn't want to leave you." Phil responds

"I'm not worth having a friend, if that's what you're trying to aim for" Dan looks at his feet.

"You deserve a friendship, I'll be your friend"

"I'm too much work" Dan says while walking away

"No one deserves to be alone" Phil responds

This makes Dan stop, silence fills the hallway.

"Maybe I like to be alone" Dan walks away

"Wait!" Phil yells

"What do you want?"

"I have the pass"

"Why didn't she give you one too"

"Not sure, where's your first class"

"Mr. Collins, science, why?"

"Looks like we have had the same first period together all year and still haven't noticed each other"

"Let's go" Dan responds, walking away

They walk the hallways in silence, until they come to the classroom. Phil opens the door and they walk in together.

Phil walks over to their teacher and hands him the pass.

"Came just in time Mr. Lester and Mr. Howell, we're about to assign partners for science projects, take a seat at your lab table"

After going through the long list of names, Mr. Collins has two names left.

"And the final pair is, Mr. Howell and Mr. Lester. Everyone go pick a lab table and start discussing your projects. It can be on any topic you desire, the rubrics are on the tables"

Phil stands up with his stuff and walks over to Dan.

"Hey project buddy!" Phil says cheerfully.

He sits his stuff down on the lab table and sits next to Dan.

"So, what do you want to do for this project?" Asks Phil

"I'm not sure, I'm not really smart"

"Well you can do literally anything you set your mind to, so let's think of something creative so we don't have to make a solar system or volcano like every other group."