Chapter Twelve

Dan lays in his bed, the piercing sound of his alarm blares in his ears.

It's now Monday and he hasn't talked to Phil since Friday.

Purple bags rest under his eyes from the lack of sleep. His arm is lined with fresh cuts and bruises.

He just feels empty.

Who hates him this much to do something like this to him.

It's 7:00am and Dan just doesn't have the energy to do, or care about anything.

He hears the familiar sound of the stairs creaking. He doesn't even care anymore. He enjoys the pain.

Dan's father stumbles into the room, smelling like booze. He's ready for whatever happens to him.

Dan has given up.

His dad doesn't even say anything to him. He picks Dan up by the shirt collar. Dan dangles like a lifeless body. He's too broken to fight back anymore.

He feels the stinging pain of his father's fist colliding with the side of his jaw.

"You little shit, get out of my house before I call the cops" his dad spits in his face.

He takes one more powerful swing, fist colliding with Dan's jaw, sending his head backwards as he collapses on his bed.

"GET OUT" are his father's last words before stumbling out of the room.

He sits there for a couple of minutes and then hears his garage door open. Dan stands up to observe what is going on. He looks out of the window to see his father backing out of the driveway and speeding away, leaving tire marks on the road.

Dan walks to his bathroom and looks in the mirror. He moves his curly hair out of the way of his face and reveals the new bruises that are there.

Dan's eyes are bloodshot and his face is swelling. He examines his face in the mirror, wincing after touching his jaw that was in the middle of bruising. He looks at himself in the mirror. All he sees is a useless broken piece of shit that's given up on trying.

He doesn't care what people see of him anymore. He just throws on another pair of black skinny jeans and a black jumper to cover up the cuts. He takes one last look at himself before leaving. He grabs his phone and runs downstairs to see his mother.

He's never seen her outside of her bedroom. She's dressed nicely and looks happy.

"Hello Dan, good morning to you" she says, with a tone that sounds like that has been practiced many times before.

Dan ignores her and grabs his bag and bolts out of the door. It is raining outside so Dan puts his earphones in and places his phone in his pocket. He walks down the streets alone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Phil hasn't been the same. He doesn't smile or laugh anymore. He's very disclosed and just feels lost and empty.

How could Dan do this to him? Was he lying this whole time? What if he actually did have feelings for him? What about his father? Was that a lie too? Was this all to just reel him in?

He isn't excited for this school day. He knows he'll have to face Dan.

Maybe after the project is turned in, he doesn't have to speak to Dan ever again.

He can just get over him. It doesn't matter anymore. Dan is just a person to Phil now.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan walks into school and immediately all eyes are on him. Everyone is murmuring and whispering while pointing.