Chapter One

Dan was laying in his bed, browsing tumblr when he heard the piercing sound of smashing glass come from the floor below his room. He checked the time.

1:32am

It was his father.

Dan's parents don't seem to care about him too much. His dad is an alcoholic and is abusive. His mom couldn't care less about him. She ignores everything that goes on in the house.

No one is ever there for Dan, because he has no family or friends.

He's alone

No one cares about him

He has to face things alone

And it doesn't help that at school, all the kids do is punch him and call him worthless.

If Dan wanted that to happen, he'd stay in the lounge on a Friday night at 2am and move when his dad came in.

Dan slowly closes his laptop, trying not to make any noise. He places it on the floor and slides it under. Without making any noise, he slowly lays down and pretends to be asleep.

That didn't work

His dad barged into his room, and turned on the light. He stumbled into his room, almost falling over. He picked Dan up by his shirt and spat in his face.

"What the hell are you doing up lil boy?"

Dan stuttered

"I-I wasn't u-u-up sir-r-r" he winced as his dad slapped his face, leaving a handprint mark

"Don't lie" the smell of alcohol filled Dan's nostrils. He threw Dan back onto his bed, causing him to hit his head. "Go to sleep you useless twat"

He stumbled out of Dan's room and slammed the door shut.

Dan is shaking on his bed, clenching the covers in his hand. He starts to tense up and cries.

At least this wasn't as bad as yesterday

He thinks to himself.

Dan finally managed to peel himself out of bed, wincing at the pain of his scars and bruises. He turns off the lights and makes his way back to his bed.

He tries to go to sleep, but his voices flood his brain

You're useless

No one cares about you

Just kill yourself now

No one would care

Do it

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The next day is Monday
Just another typical day for Phil Lester.

He walks to school alone, listening to music the whole way there.

15 minutes later, Phil arrives at school and meets his friends by his locker.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY PHIL!" They all scream in sync.

Louise, Joe, Alfie, Caspar, and Zoë are Phil's best friends. Phil never really liked anyone to do anything big for his birthday.

"You guys remembered?" Phil asks

"Of course! Why wouldn't we?" Louise says while wrapping her arms around Phil, hugging him

"Thank you guys so much" Phil says with a smile.

Caspar greets Phil with a bunch of balloons

"Here Phil, I don't know where you'd put them all day, but happy birthday" Caspar says

"Thank you so much" Phil responds

Alfie and Zoë walk up with presents in their hands, and Joe hands Phil a cupcake.

"Nothing special, just a couple presents for today. Tonight's gonna be great" Alfie says, Zoë smiling and nodding.

Joe walks up and hands Phil the cupcake.

"We can't have fire in school, so just pretend the candle is lit" Joe laughs.

"Thank you all so much, but I don't know where to put everything! I still have to go to class!"

"Eat the cupcake, you can put the presents and stuff in my car" Louise offers

"Really? Thank you so much!" Phil responds while smiling.

He does have the best friends in the world.

They all make their way towards the parking lot to Louise's car.

Dan walks up to the school, hands in his pockets while listening to music and looking down at the pavement.

Then Phil sees Chris and Pj walk up to him.

"Hey Howell" pj says while shoving Dan.

Dan looks up at them with hope in his eye.

"What's that on your face?" Asks Chris.

He's pointing out Dan's bruise on his face from last night.

"N-n-none of your busine-ess" Dan stutters.

"Did Dan do something bad again?" Pj asks in a mocking, teasing sort of way, laughing after.

"Maybe he hasn't had enough punishment" Chris laughs

Phil is standing by Louise's car, watching the whole thing unravel before his eyes.

Pj swings his fist towards Dan's face, making him fall to the ground.

"Good Dan, now stay there" Pj laughs while walking into the school with Chris.

Phil hands Alfie the balloons and cupcake, and runs over to see if Dan is ok.

"Hey, you alright?" Phil says while running up to Dan, crouching down close to him.

"Y-y-y-y-yeah" Dan lies

"No you're not, you have a bloody nose. You want me to take you to the nurse?" Phil asks.

"No, I'm there every day, she knows me by name" Dan replies

"Here, I'll walk with you" Phil says while standing up. He hold his hand out to help Dan up.

Dan hesitates to take his hand.

"So what's your name?" Phil asks

"D-Dan" he replies "Dan H-Howell"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I hope you guys enjoyed my very first chapter to my very first phanfic!

Please vote if you enjoyed it and follow for updates!

Share this with your friends because it took time for me to come up with the story and I'm really proud of it!

Thank you so so much for reading and I'll make sure to update soon!

In the meantime, read my other stories!
Where We are Now
How it is Now
One Broken Girl
~Ashlyn