Michael's Pad

Michael let us out of rehearsal early today, but by early I mean nine forty-five rather than ten.

As I was walked with my friends to the buses, I heard hard footsteps on the pavement behind me. I didn't look to see who it was, but when the steps stopped, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around to see, "Michael." I said as an automatic greeting. I stopped walking but mouthed to my friends to go ahead and that I'd catch up with them later. I smiled at him.

"Hey Kelly." My name rolled off his tongue sweetly. I liked the way he said it, actually.

Wait, what am I saying?

"Don't forget we gotta practice as much as possible when we get back." My smile dropped noticeably. He pretended to groan "ugh, I know, right? It just totally sucks to sing with Michael Jackson. " He teased.

"Shut up." I said softly with a smile as we walked towards the bus.

An hour later

Michael, his security guards, and I were walking to his room trying to avoid screaming girls and a few paparazzi. It felt like my ears were bleeding from the constant shouting and screaming they endured.

We reached his room on the eleventh floor in record time. Partially due to the fact that we were running in fear of being trampled by the mob outside. Michael quickly opened the door and let us in. The security guards remained outside, surveying the area for any potential threats to our rehearsal.

Michael and I began pushing some furniture aside to make room for dancing.

"What do you wanna start with?" He asked me as we moved the last couch against the wall.

"I really don't care." I stated.

"Alright. . . Well, why don't you sing to me?" He asked, even though I knew it wasn't really a question. I thought for a minute, then began:

I Don't Care What You Talkin' 'Bout Baby

I Don't Care What You Say

Don't You Come Walkin', Beggin' Back Mama

I Don't Care Anyway

Time After Time I Gave You All Of My Money

No Excuses To Make

Ain't No Mountain That I Can't Climb Baby

All Is Going My Way

'Cause There's A Time When You're Right

And You Know You Must Fight

Who's Laughing Baby, Don't You Know

And There's The Choice That We Make

And This Choice You Will Take

Who's Laughin' Baby

So Just Leave Me Alone

Leave Me Alone

Leave Me Alone

Leave Me Alone-Stop It!

Just Stop Doggin' Me Around

He clapped, surprisingly. He's never done that before.

"Fantastic! You're a lot better than I remembered from the last time I heard you sing solo. But how come you chose that song? We haven't performed it since last month." He asked me. I gave him an annoyed look, "why do you think?" 

I'll admit, it was uncalled for, but I felt he deserved to know how I really felt. At least, that's what I thought until I saw his smile fade away from his face and his eyes turn glossy from new tears forming.

"I'm sorry Michael, I didn't . . .I didn't mean it like that." 

I mean, I did. But what else was I meant to say?

 I always hated it when people cried, because I never knew how to make them stop.

He hung his head without speaking, and moved to the other side of the room and faced the wall.

I stayed in my spot for a few seconds, then went over to go check on him.

I tapped his shoulder and ducked down beside him to see his face better, "Michael?" I called. No reply.

I brushed a few of his curls out of his face to find him shaking silently. But not shaking for the reason I expected. He was . . . laughing?

It kept getting louder and louder as he knew that I could tell he was laughing.

"I'm sorry, I thought it would be fun to mess with you." He said,still giggling. I understood, I always liked pulling pranks too.

"Oh yeah, well if you think that's so funny------" I said as I began to tickle his sides.

"Stop it!" He shouted at me, he tried to run away but he didn't get very far before I knocked him to the ground. I had my legs on either side of him so there was no possible way he could maneuver out. He screamed a few times, begging me to stop, but I wouldn't. I could tell we were both having a good time.

Michael let out a yelp that was the loudest yet, and that's when I heard one of his guards quickly unlock and burst through the door.

"What's wrong?!" He asked frantically, his eyes got slightly wider when he saw me on top of him on the floor.

We both got up and straightened our clothes and hair when he asked us, "was I, ehm, interrupting something?" He asked us, giving Michael a sly smile.

"No, but thanks for saving me man! That tickle monster is deadly." Michael answered jokingly. I laughed, but because of the look on the guard's face, not so much over the joke.

The guard laughed awkwardly, "um, okay then Mike." He said. He turned and left out the door. When we were sure he wasn't going to come back in we turned to each other, stared, then busted out laughing again.

I never noticed before, but his laugh is contagious. It's delicate, yet strong. 

We laughed uncontrollably for another couple minutes or so, then we pulled ourselves together enough to bring our focus back to the task at hand.

"Can we try that again?" I said, still giggling a little.

"Right, right. Perhaps, Bad from the top?" He asked me. 

"Totally." I said nodding. 

He began snapping his fingers, "one, two, three, four--"