Chapter 69

Looking for houses was easier than I thought. Laurel said she was an expert in which sites to look in and that everything was taken care of. She just frequently asked me if I liked the house she was showing me at the moment.

"How am I gonna tell Wanda I'm not gonna return from this trip?"

"You always tell me she understands." She looked at me, then returned her gaze to the bright, computer screen." And she does have Vision now."

"Yeah. And it's not like she can't take care of herself. I remember her telling me that back in Sokovia." I paused. "Sokovia..." I drifted off. Lost in my thoughts, I came to realized the promise I had made myself at the beginning of this trip.

"Sokovia!" I sat up, Laurel quickly turning her head.

"You-"

"We have to go, now." I quickly stood up and slid on some running shoes.

"Well, you're not planning on going there now, are you?"

"It is like you read my mind." I stood Laurel up and placed shoes on her feet in under three seconds.

"Pietro, you're crazy! It's the middle of the night." She shoved me away as I tried to place her hoodie.

"I have to do this now, Laurel." I swifted her off her feet.

"You don't-"

Without a doubt, I ran out of the room, and just ran. I could feel my feet burning up, and Laurel's head nustling into my chest. I couldn't stop, it's as if my heart and my mind were set on one thing only: getting to Novi Grad, Sokovia. Or what was left of it.

My sense of direction was perfect. I always knew how to get somewhere. It's like it got enhanced once the magic from Loki's scepter came in contact with my body.

After about twenty minutes of nonstop running, we finally reached the outskirts of Novi Grad. I placed Laurel on the ground, who had a little trouble regaining her balance, and I fell to the ground in exhaustion. I could barely breath. I had never run such a long distance. It was still dark, and very quiet. All you could hear was the frequent noise of nearby animals and the wind whistling through the trees.

"You're insane." Laurel whispered, leaning against a house wall.

"I will take that as a compliment." I slowly got on all fours and then lifted my body up to stand in two.

"I should freeze your legs and leave you here." Laurel started walking away from the forest and deeper into the city. I followed behind her.

"But then how would you get back?"

There was no one there. Debris, dust, and some houses were still standing, but not a single human was present. It was almost terrifying.

"I don't know why you decided to come here, I can't imagine what you're thinking right now." Laurel stopped and looked back at me, but I was looking around at the houses, left intact as if the Battle of Sokovia was just yesterday. My worst decision was to enter one of the little homes which had been built strong enough to stay in place.