Chapter 5

Cold air reminds me of winter in Sokovia. It got very cold in my childhood house. My parents used to heat up the fireplace. My father would sing songs to us, while we sat by the fire, eating cookies and drinking hot chocolate. But now, all I can hear is the buzzing sound of cars honking and the chattering of a million humans.

I continued to walk around. Looking at all the small businesses that were on each block. How was I supposed to find a friend since everyone was too busy? I at least had to try. I headed inside a coffee shop. The warmness of the place hit me well, and I took off my jacket. It wasn't that crowded. Not like that coffee place called "Starbucks". I got in line and looked around. The memory of hot chocolate gave me a craving, so I was going to order that.

"Hello, what would you like today? The girl gave me a smile.

"Hi, um can I have one hot chocolate, please?"

"With whipped cream?" She looked back at me.

"What is whipped cream?" I questioned, not having the slightest clue of what it was.

"Excuse me?" She chuckled afterwards. "It's cream, but whipped."

"Sure, why not?" I smiled back.

"That'll be $1.25, sir."

I handed her the money and waited for my beverage to be ready. I gotta say, the girl was nice to me. People would usually laugh at my accent, but she didn't even mention it.

"Hot chocolate for Pietro!" A man yelled from the other side the counter. He passed me the chocolate and I thanked him. I walked around a bit, before sitting down on a table, only being used by another girl.

"Excuse me, is this seat taken?" I asked her.

"No, no, you can sit." She looked at me, smiled, and returned to her laptop.

"I'm Pietro." I said, taking a sip from my drink.

"I'm Laurel." She gave me a smile and shook my hand.

Laurel, I like that name. She had dirty blonde hair, and green eyes. Her skin was not so pale. She wore a plaid shirt, with skinny blue jeans.

"Right. So where do you work?" I asked.

"Um, at a bakery down two blocks." She said, closing her computer.

"That is great." I nervously said, not wanting to talk about my job.

"Look, Pietro, this city is pretty messed up, so I have to ask this." I nodded and she continued. "Are you a stalker or something?"

"No, no! I just want to make friends, that is all." I looked into her eyes.

"Ok, Pietro. I believe you. Anything else you want to ask me about? My break is almost over." She looked at her watch, then turning her gaze back at me.

"I can accompany you there." I said, regretting it as soon as I finished the sentence.

She kept staring at me. Then she spoke. "Ok, let's go."

She got up, put her laptop in her purse and signaled me to follow. I threw away the drink and followed her as instructed.

"So, what's your last name?" She asked, in an enthusiastic tone.

"Maximoff, Pietro Maximoff." I smirked. "What is yours?".

"Williams. Laurel Williams. Sounds fancy, huh?"

"Well, it kinda does." I chuckled, and she laughed. She had a cute laugh and a beautiful smile.

"You know, I just met you and I feel like I can tell you my biggest secret." She looked at my eyes, smiling while at it.

"I have that effect on people." I joked, receiving a chuckle from Laurel.

We arrived at her job, a small shop called "Brooke's Bakery". It was painted a scarlet red color. Something my sister would like.

"Yeah, the red is a bit too much, isn't it? I keep telling my boss to paint it a light blue. It would look better."

It is like she read my mind.

"Can I get your number, Miss Williams? I smirked, taking out my phone.

"Yeah, here." She took my phone and typed in her number. She gave it back to me, and her contact name was with a flower symbol.

"Woah, how did you put that symbol there?" I asked.

"It's called an emoji." She laughed. "And you put it by pressing this button."

I was amazed by what followed. The keyboard was full of drawings of all types of things.

"Well, it's been nice, Maximoff." She smiled, tilting her head to the side.

"I will see you again, right?"

"We'll see. Bye, Pietro."

"Bye, Laurel."

Love is like a bullet. And I have just been shot.